Chapter 3 - Ice Cream and Feelings

Chapter 3

“Aggie!” Bethany called out across their shared apartment. “I come baring gifts.”

Bethany didn’t need to shout too loudly in order to be heard; the apartment wasn’t very big. She and Agatha were splitting the rent on a two bedroom apartment that was as close to campus as they could get without it being considered university provided student housing. Though it lacked in space, they had the bonuses of a quieter study environment and a bathroom that wasn’t shared by upwards of twenty people.

Agatha shuffled out of her bedroom, her once wild hair now piled in a tame bun on top of her head. “What did you bring?” she mumbled as she eyed the bag in her friend’s hand.

“Well I figured you could use a pick me up after you fell on your ass in front of all of those people,” Agatha could see her trying, and failing, to hold back her smile at this. “So I brought cake pops and banana split ice cream.” she gave her friend an even bigger smile as she held the bag out for her to take.

Not moving to reach for the bag Agatha asked, “What kind of cake pops?”

Bethany sat the bag in the countertop with a sigh and removed her jacket as she answered. “Vanilla Bean and Red Velvet.” She watched as her friend perked up and moved to get them a couple of spoons.

Agatha sat at the counter and removed the treats from the bag while Bethany sat next to her.

“So what the hell happened today anyway?”

After Agatha sent Trevor her first video message, she had messaged Bethany to tell her that she was fine and that she was at home. And no she didn’t bring the “tall drink of hotness” as Bethany had called him. She told her that she would give her the details when Bethany got home from her shift at the bakery where they both worked part time.

Not wanting her friend to miss work was one of the main reasons that Agatha had insisted she stay at the speed dating event. Well, that and her general confusion over seeing Trevor again.

Agatha took a big bite of a cake vanilla bean cake pop before she launched into her wretched tale. While she talked they made a huge dent in the snacks Bethany had brought. Agatha knew that wasn’t the best idea since hadn’t had any real food since breakfast. She was trying to figure out her chances of puking when Bethany finally started talking. She had been sitting there with her mouth agape in confusion for a solid two minutes.

“How the hell does he not recognize you?” Aggie only shrugged. She knew she had grown up and gotten what was usually referred to as “grown woman curves” but she didn’t think she had changed that much. That was part of what stung the most, if he didn’t see a connection to her younger self that must’ve meant he never really paid her much attention at all. A conclusion that was a hard blow for the little girl in her that thought Trevor had hung the moon.

“He didn’t even recognize your name?”

That was the question that finally made her put her spoon down. She slowly shook her head. “Nope. He thinks my name is Maggie.”

Bethany face showed her confusion. “He what? Why would he think that?”

Another shrug from Agatha as moved to close her ice cream. “Hell, I don’t know. Maybe that’s what he thought you were calling me when I fell. He probably misheard with the people that were talking at the time.”

“Well why didn’t you tell him the truth? Well I only just noticed during the last video message and he was saying goodnight then.” Agatha saw the question coming before her friend even opened her mouth so she continued. “And plus I’m still all confused.” Agatha abruptly stood from her seat at the counter and tried to shake away the tension in her body. She looked like toddler throwing a tantrum. Before Bethany could stop her she started pacing and ranting. “I didn’t really expect to ever see him again and then he goes and fucking touches me. Making my arm tingle and shit. And plus I’m still pissed that he doesn’t remember me. Am I that forgettable? I just wanted to stop talking to him.”

Bethany got up and stood in her friend’s path. She pulled her into a hug that Agatha didn’t even try to resist. She rubbed her back in an attempt to comfort her. When she felt her shoulder becoming wet she tightened her grip.

“I was practically in love with him and he didn’t even see me.” Agatha mumbled as the tears streamed unbidden down her face.