Chapter 2 - Concussions and Contact

Chapter 2

Damn, he is fine as hell. After her very public fall from grace, Agatha found herself walking towards the campus clinic. With Trevor. Normally around with a very hot man wouldn’t be a cause for concern, but Trevor was not just a very hot man. Trevor was the boy turned man that she spent the majority of her childhood years crushing on.

“Are you sure you should be walking so fast?” He called out to her.

Agatha had quickened her pace trying to make the very small gap between them, but it obviously wasn’t working. Whether it be the fact that his legs were longer than hers or the fact that he was an athlete Agatha couldn’t be sure, but she wished he would trip on something. Maybe that would give her the chance to run away.

Okay, that was a little dramatic. As bad as it sounded, Agatha felt she had the right to be just that. Along with the very hard fall that Trevor watched her take, came the knowledge that he had not one clue of who she was. So yes, she wanted to run away. Far, far, far away.

“Hey, Maggie,” Agatha felt him grab her arm to halt her progress. “Are you sure you’re okay? You didn’t hit your head back there or anything?” When Agatha only stared at him with wide eyes he continued. “Look, I’m just trying to make sure you’re alright. If you do have a concussion, you really shouldn’t be speed walking. The clinic isn’t going anywhere.” That last line was said with a small smile. It was the same smile she saw nearly every day she while growing up.

Now, instead of simply being embarrassed, Agatha was pissed. How could he not remember her? He had spent nearly every day at her house from the time she was seven until she turned ten. Three years. He saw her face every day for three years and didn’t even recognize her.

Okay, so that was like ten years ago. Agatha heaved a sigh, releasing most of her anger with it, before finally answering his question.

“Um…no. I didn’t hit my head. I’m okay, really. I just want to go home and lie down. You can go back to the dating…thingie. I’ll be fine on my own.”

“You don’t have to hit your head to get a concussion, and you went down pretty hard back there,” Agatha could tell that he was trying to be gentle with her, but she just wanted to be alone. Correction: she wanted to be away from him. “And did you know that not being able think clearly is a symptom of a concussion. I only point that out to say that I would really rather not leave you here, in the middle of the street, to return to the speed dating thingie that we just left.”

Agatha looked around to see that they were indeed standing in the middle of the street. There were no cars around, but still; this didn’t look good. When he put it that way it really did seem like she needed to see a doctor. Agatha really didn’t want to see a doctor. And she couldn’t tell him the real reason for her disorientation because she didn’t even want to look at him.

She groaned as she grabbed his arm and navigated them back to the sidewalk. “Okay look,” she crossed her arms to stop the tingling sensation that was slowly spreading up her arm from them still being connected. “What is it going to take for you to leave me alone?”

She stopped him just as he opened his mouth, “That does not involve me being checked out by a doctor, or going to the clinic.”

“How about you give me your number so…” he stopped talking when Agatha raised her eyebrow and gave him a skeptical look.

“Nice try, but I’m not giving you my number. What else you got?”

Trevor laughed but didn’t take offense. He was still virtually a stranger to him. The only thing they knew about each other was their first name. And he only knew hers because her friend had called it out when she fell out of her chair.

“Okay how about this? You got social media? Facebook, Snapchat, or something?” He kept talking after she gave him a slow nod. “Okay so let me add you on Snapchat and then you can send me a snap when you get home and I’ll send you one every so often for the next few hours. That way I don’t have to walk you home and you don’t have to give me your phone number.”

“O-kay,” Agatha dragged the word out as she thought to herself.

“So what’s your username so I can add you?”

Agatha tried and failed to not blush as she told him in a tone that was barely above a whisper, “Coding&Cupcakes, no spaces, with the symbol not the word.”

She felt her face heat up as he looked her up and came across the slightly suggestive GIF of 'her eating frosting off of a cupcake that she set as her profile picture. She knew he found her when he looked up at her and smiled.

“Cute,” was the only comment he made. Agatha gave a tight lipped smile as she watched him send her a request.

“But, wait, how will that help if I actually do have a concussion?”

Shit. As soon as the words left her mouth Aggie knew she had messed up. She was nearly free of him and then she went and opened her big mouth. But she had to admit that as much as she wanted to rid herself of him she didn’t want any adverse effects of actually having a concussion. All of his talk about her symptoms had freaked her out a little bit.

“Well the main goal is to just watch you for any other symptoms and also to keep you awake. If you feel fine after a few hours than I guess we can mostly rule out a concussion but I would suggest you still see a doctor because they can have delayed reactions. But if you really are worried then maybe you shouldn’t go home.”

He watched the emotions play on her face as she thought her options through. Agatha really was gorgeous. Her hair was a bit wild and becoming slightly frizzy from the humidity in the air, but it was cute blowing in the wind. The extra-large glasses she wore perched on her nose would’ve looked ridiculous on anyone else but on her they were just adorable, and they drew more attention to her eyes. And those lips. Those beautiful, full, glossy lips. He watched her draw the bottom one into her mouth and nibble on it. He wished he could do the same.

His reverie was broken at the sound of her voice. “I guess this will have to do. I really don’t want to go to the doctor and I’m not comfortable with giving you my address or phone number. I really do think I am fine though. The walk to my place is only about five minutes from here so you can message me any time after that. If you must.” She said last part so low he almost missed it and with a roll of her eyes.

He chuckled at her annoyance. “I insist. I honestly wish you would let me do more since I feel like it’s my fault that you fell. But I can’t force you so… I’ll take what I can get.”

Agatha nodded. “Well thanks for your concern. I’m going to go now.”

They each gave a little wave and Agatha turned around to walk away. Alone.

♥♥♥♥♥

Agatha had just finished the shower she hopped into as soon as she made it home. While under the spray it was easier to ignore the thoughts about Trevor and focus instead on the other dates she had chosen. But now that she was wrapped in a towel in the quiet of her room she had no choice to but to think about the shock and surprising hurt that came with seeing Trevor face to face and the fact that he didn’t remember her.

Her processing was interrupted by the unmistakable chime of her phone’s notification alarm. Trevor had sent her a video snap. He was doing his first check-in, he told her, wanted to know how she feeling. She hurriedly threw on an oversized shirt and some sweats responding that she was just fine.

They videoed back and forth over the course of a few hours with him asking questions about certain symptoms and asking random math and trivia questions to make sure she was thinking clearly. It wasn’t until his last video telling her that he thought she was probably in the clear and his saying goodnight that she heard what she previously thought was a mistake.

“Goodnight, Maggie.”