Prologue

AS TEGWEN GITTINS SLIPPED ON HER SHOES, the Hogwarts Castle was quiet

AS TEGWEN GITTINS SLIPPED ON HER SHOES, the Hogwarts Castle was quiet. The last hour before curfew had passed and the newly made Ravenclaw prefect was preparing for her first nightly rounds alone. She had to admit to herself that she was rather excited; after several weeks of shadowing an older prefect to learn more about her responsibilities, it was her turn to make sure she got the job done. Of course, there wasn't much to her prefect duties, mainly making sure that no students were out past curfew and seeing to everything being in order before she retired for the evening.

It wasn't so much the responsibilities that left her jittery, but the title itself. Over the summer when she had received the letter congratulating her, paired with her very own prefect's badge, Tegwen didn't know what to make of it. She questioned why the school staff thought a soft-spoken girl would be fit for such a position? Not to mention, she didn't carry the influential popularity that some of her peers seemed naturally born with the way they carried themselves through the corridors of the school, so why her?

Although upon her arrival at the castle that term, Tegwen didn't find herself arguing her new status, hoping it would be a fresh start to bettering herself. She never found herself in trouble, mostly because she tended to mind her own business. Perhaps she could have a good influence on other students, new and old.

Once her shoes were on and her prefect badge was fitted to her robes, Tegwen made her way out of the girls' dormitories of the Ravenclaw Tower. With everyone tucked away in their beds or enjoying a peaceful evening in the Common Room, she was able to slip through unnoticed. Hurrying down the steps, she couldn't hold back the large smile that formed on her face as she truly set out on her own.

The castle was practically hers to explore, however, it was rather quiet.

Filling the silence, Tegwen decided to hum a tune that her father had taught her when she was very young. All the while, making sure to keep an eye out for Peeves because the poltergeist loved causing trouble for everyone, prefects included. Occasionally, she would steal a glance out one of the windows, watching the light dusting of snow cover the grounds. A surge of giddiness filled her chest, knowing that Christmas was just around the corner.

She was definitely looking forward to going home and spending time with her fathers, telling them everything she had learned since the start of term.  With Christmas on her mind, her humming quickly took on that of a Christmas carol. However, her early start to the festivities came to a sudden end when she heard the sound of footsteps behind her.

Whipping around, Tegwen quickly caught sight of one of her fellow classmates, Newt Scamander attempting to sneak down a corridor undetected. The Hufflepuff was completely unaware that he was being watched from down the way until she called out to him.

"Newt?"

He jumped, nearly a foot in the air before he turned around to face her. Once he realised he had been caught, he started to adjust his robes to hide his flustered state. His cheeks continued to turn a darker shade of red, highlighting his already red hair.