Chapter One

I can't believe I'm going to be late! Even if I hurry, I'm still going to be the last one to turn up and no doubt my mum will think I've done it deliberately. She'll says it's because I'm jealous and trying to steal the attention away from Rachel on her special night.

Rachel's my older sister. She's beautiful gorgeous, successful and intelligent. She's everything I'm not and she's introducing her new fiancé to the whole family tonight. We were all told we had to be there by seven o'clock sharp and I know how much mum hates it when I'm late. I glance at my watch, groaning when I see that I'm already half an hour late. She's really going to kill me, she'll make the punishment for my tardiness last for months.

My relationship with mum has always been strained. I'm the black sheep of the family, the middle child and the greatest disappointment of my mum's life. I have a younger brother who's eighteen, he moved away to go to University a few months ago and Rachel is twenty-five. She's mum's favourite, her main priority and pride and joy. It's been that way for as long as I can remember and I seriously doubt it will ever change.

That's why tonight is such a big deal, Rachel has just got engaged but none of us have ever met her fiancé. All I know is his name is Zack and he's twenty-eight. Rachel's just moved back home after living in London for the last couple of years. Her fiancé's family also live up here and that's why they've both decided to come home so they can find a place together whilst planning their wedding. They're due to get married in August which is four months from now. I know they've been together for about a year and I have to admit, I'm really anxious to finally meet him. She talks about him in her emails but I've yet to see a photo of them together and I'm beyond curious.

I suppose the fact that we haven't stayed in touch is partly my fault. Rachel has been living in London for the last couple of years and I know we both should have made more of an effort to stay in contact. I really do feel guilty about it and that's why I'm so excited to see her tonight.

Rachel's an actress and she's been performing on the West End stage for the last year or so. I've been told that Zack is a successful architect but that's all I know about him. I get the impression that they're the picture perfect couple, glamorous and sophisticated in every single way and it doesn't surprise me.

I can't help comparing myself to Rachel, she's doing so well and I can't even turn up for a family meal on time. I'm five minutes away from mum's house but I can't walk very well in the high heels I'm wearing and it's just started to rain. Perfect. Just perfect. Could today get any worse?

I quickly realise it can when I turn into the driveway of the house I once called home. There must be twelve cars here which means the whole family have decided to grace us with their presence. I'm the only one outside, the only one who feels excluded and that's the way it's always been.

I pause before I knock against the oak front door. I know I can't delay this any further and take a deep breath before choosing to make my arrival known to them.

"Samantha, nice of you to join us." My Aunt Carol says, greeting me at the front door. She has a displeased expression on her face and I instantly know I'm in trouble.

"Sorry I'm late." I mumble, slipping off my coat.

"Better late than never." She replies sarcastically, turning her nose up at my appearance as she takes in my outfit.

I glance down at my appearance, wondering what the problem is. I tried really hard to look smart tonight but her judgemental eyes immediately make me feel self-conscious and I resist the urge to smooth down my skirt and pat my hair.