I tried so hard not to smile, but I failed. "Okay, Yoda."

He chuckled. "I'm shocked you know who Yoda is if you didn't know Sonic the Hedgehog."

He was never going to let the hedgehog thing go.

I shrugged. "I watched them with my dad once." I didn't want Maddox to think I was going to burst into tears by talking about my dad again, so I was quick to add, "This is where Mathias wants us to get his lunch?" I pointed at the building.

Wait, lunch? Didn't we just eat breakfast?

My eyes widened when I looked at the time on my phone. It was after twelve—nearing one. Had we really killed that much time at the creek? Apparently so.

"Yep," Maddox nodded, hopping out of the car. He leaned his head through the open door. "Come on."

"Aren't you picking it up?" I asked, perfectly happy to stay behind in the car. You know, to avoid people and all that jazz.

He shook his head. "We're eating here, while Mathias will eat alone and suffer in his self-imposed solitude."

My lips quirked at that, and I exited the car, following him into the building.

Before we entered the building he tugged on a beanie. Seriously, what was it with him and hats?

I followed him into the darkened building. It was relatively empty of a lunchtime crowd, although the bar did hold a few occupants. Maddox led me to a booth in the back and a waiter appeared quickly with menus.

"Have you ever been here before?" Maddox asked, twisting his bottom lip with his fingers as he perused the menu.

"No," I answered shortly.

He set the menu down, looking like I had offended him. "This place only has the best food ever. 'Tis a shame."

"I guess it's another first I'll experience with you," I said, and then immediately hid behind the menu because I started thinking about the naked kind of firsts. Seriously, my brain was all kinds of fucked up lately.

Maddox laughed at me, like a full belly laugh, which only served to leave me even more embarrassed.

He finally managed to compose himself and picked up the menu once more.

The waiter returned and we both ordered iced tea. I got a sandwich and Maddox ordered half the menu. I wished I was joking and I hoped that some of that food was going to be boxed up for Mathias.

Since my thoughts had already headed in that direction I thought now might be a good time to ask about the mysterious Remy.

"I've been wondering..."

"Yeah?" He prompted, his eyes skimming the restaurant like he was searching for something or someone.

"What's up with Remy?" I finally asked. "Who is she to Mathias? I mean, I assumed it was his girlfriend, or ex-girlfriend more likely, but then that night at dinner your dad said he knew you'd be the first to have a girlfriend." I knew I was rambling so I quickly shut my mouth. I hated to pry, but after Mathias went all Godzilla and threw a glass at us I thought I deserved to know—especially if I was about to willingly subject myself to his obnoxious presence.

The waiter sat down our drinks and Maddox nodded in thanks, waiting for him to walk off before he continued.

"Remy and Mathias..." He winced. "They dated briefly when they were sixteen."

"And that's it?" I asked. There had to be more to the story than he was letting on.

"Mathias is private—there are lots of things he doesn't even share with me—so I honestly don't know that much. She never really came over to our house, but we'd all hang out. They were always all over each other, and they argued a lot. They've both got a temper and Remy didn't back down from his shit. She moved before our senior year of high school and they broke up. Mathias has been an even bigger asshole then usual since then, but I honestly don't know what transpired there. I have a feeling we may never know." He sat back and draped his arm across the top of the booth.