Chapter 10

As I laid in bed that night, I realized that something must've been wrong with me.

This whole thing with Dani was getting way too out of hand. I'd had two dates with her already. Most of the other girls hadn't even gotten one.

I wasn't acting like myself. Never before had I wanted to spend time with a girl just to get to know her. It just wasn't my style. I liked getting close to girls in different ways. I didn't want a relationship.

When the Selection started, I made a decision to make this whole ordeal short and painless. It was supposed to be a chance to have some fun before Dad stepped down and I had ten thousand other things to worry about.

So, I decided to put an end to whatever it was that was going on between Dani and me. I'd stop the feelings and get myself back on track. I'd spend less time with her. I had plenty of excuses to distance myself: I needed to be more fair to the other ladies. I needed to focus on work. I barely knew her so it would be easier to let this fleeting infatuation die off rather than take the hard route and let her in.

As I drifted to sleep, I kept repeating these reasons in my head, trying to completely convince myself that it was easier to just let her go. Surely, a bit of breathing room would make me come to my senses.

I was Alexander Gerad Schreave and I would not let this Selection change me.
.
.
.
When I woke up in the morning, I knew exactly who I needed to see. She was the epitome of everything I had set my mind to last night.

I grabbed a sheet of paper and wrote out a quick note, which I then placed in a sealed envelope to prevent any snooping by the maids as it made its way to the recipient.

On my way to breakfast, I stopped a butler I saw walking in my direction.

"Deliver this to Lady Fayre's room, please," I said, feeling anticipation rising in my chest.

The butler was not much older than me. Judging by the glimmer in his eye and quirk of his lips, I knew he was aware of Fayre's use to me.

"As you wish, sir."

We both continued on our ways. I entered the dining room, my step jaunty and light.

Stay cool, stay aloof, stay confident, I reminded myself. Now was not the time to be soft.

I dared a glance in Dani's direction. Her expression was one of confusion. She'd noticed something different about me the second I'd entered the room. We met gazes and I forced my eyes to quickly avert themselves. If anything would break my resolve, it would be her.

I took my seat and immediately began my daily caffeination routine.

Bree was looking at me strangely.

"Is there something I can help you with?" I asked.

"No," she said in a puzzled voice. "I just thought-" She stopped.

I looked at her expectantly.

Bree shook her head and waved her hand dismissively. "Never mind. It's nothing," she finished.

"Alright then," I responded, going back to my food.

For the rest of the meal, I remained silent. I tried to focus on keeping my eyes off of Danielle. Every time I wasn't thinking about anything in particular, I'd feel myself start to move my eyes in her direction. I couldn't let myself do that though. She'd started all of this and I needed to end it.

I was the first one to get up to leave, taking an apple with me.

Just as I'd turned away, Dad spoke up. "Hey, Alex. Where are you headed?"