CHAPTER 47

The soldiers of the Phoniks Vidroh were definitely persistent and dedicated, working hard to perfect the techniques I'd shown them. I was standing away from them leaning against the wall, arms folded as my eyes moved over each soldier to make sure they were successfully following the orders I'd given them.

I was teaching them in a similar fashion that I'd been taught with, just without the abuse and punishment if they messed up a step or two. It wasn't hard to realize a lot of them feared me, constantly looking in my direction with these panicked looks like I'd kill them if they screwed up. It wasn't that difficult to accept a lot of the rebellion would never be able to trust me, but if I'm being honest, I don't care.

The people that I cared about already trusted me, and that's all I needed. In any case, I was too lost in thought to even notice their anxiety. That day was my twenty-fourth birthday, the eleven-year anniversary of my kidnapping. It was common for me to get distracted on this day remembering all the bad things, like thinking Kailas was dead, I could practically smell the chloroform on the rag and feel my wrists tied to the posts of the bed.

I quickly pushed off the wall and took a few steps forward, folding my arms harder so I was basically hugging myself, prepared to leave so I could find Kailas; he was the only one who would be able to calm me down by this point. Seeing him alive and well when I was remembering him getting shot would do me good.

Unfortunately, I was distracted when I felt the heat and weight of a body jumping on me from behind, arms wrapping around my shoulders and legs around my waist. I swung an arm back thinking I could stab my attacker through the side to pierce their liver, but I wasn't holding a knife, it was a precaution not to let me carry around weapons. Which was good, considering it was just Dakota.

"What the fuck?" I hissed, turning my head to see his chin on my shoulder.

"Tired of standing."

"So you jump on me?" I grumbled, "I could've killed you!"

"Someone's in a bad mood," Dakota hummed, and I rolled my eyes with a sigh but didn't try to force him away.

A few soldiers were staring at us looking uncomfortable, like they couldn't comprehend how this kid could get so close to a freaking assassin, but I ignored them and just pulled on the sleeves of Dakota's shirt to try and urge him away from me.

"Don't you have better things to do?" I asked, and Dakota hummed.

"Not really, besides, I wanted to give you something."

"Great," I mumbled as Dakota slid off my back and slipped around to stand in front of me, holding out a crudely wrapped parcel that fit easily in his hand.

I just stared at it blankly before Dakota snorted, "It's a birthday present."

I narrowed my eyes at him, "How did you know today was my birthday?"

"Cass," Dakota said, putting the little present in my hand, "Open it whenever. By the way, you're free now."

"What?"

"Your work is done for the day," Dakota reiterated, looping an arm through mine and pulling me towards the door, "I was sent to come get you, it's important."

"Why?" I asked, instantly suspicious, "What happened? Is everything okay?"

"Yea, no worries," Dakota assured, tugging at the scarf around my neck so it slipped off, then slapped it over my eyes, "You have to wear a blindfold."

"I will throw you out a closed window, Bailey," I snarled, and Dakota laughed.

"Yea try it, just shut up and deal for like three minutes."