Royalty And Me

He didn't just say Buckingham Palace did he? no he couldn't do this to me surely.

"Um Alex, who are we meeting at Buckingham Palace" I was officially on the edge of a nervous breakdown now.

"Oh the usual the Queen, Prince Phillip, Charles,William, Harry etcetera, etcetera"

"Alex, I don't know these people, sure I know about them, I just don't know them, the only time I came close to seeing the Queen was when she drove past in her car, but I was only seven and nobody would let me through to the front to get a look and my mother couldn't lift me to see and by the time a kindly old man let me squeeze through she was gone"

I was now noticeably shaking with fright, then an arm came around my shoulder and pulled me into his side.

"Don't worry princess they will love you, besides I will be with you all the time.

The nearer we got the more I fretted and when we drove through the gate and up to the main entrance, where royal guards and selected press photographers gathered, I was a borderline hospital case.

"Calm down princess, everything will be fine trust me"

"That's easy for you to say you do this for a living" and it came out as though I was shivering from the cold.

"Don't worry I have just the thing to settle your nerves"

I was about to say, I doubt that very much, but he pulled me to him lent down and kissed me with so much passion and want, I forgot everything even my own name.

"See" he whispered pulling back, now come on they are dying to meet you"

Well to say I was stunned, speechless and overwhelmed was an understatement, I mean if you have been to the Palace for tea with the residence then you know what I mean.

As we were escorted through the great rooms and halls of the Palace to the ballroom, Alex briefed me on etiquette and how to behave and a crash course in what to talk about and what not to talk about, he needn't have worried as I was so tongue tied and overawed that I couldn't put two words together let a lone hold a conversation.

I mean I was introduced to most of the royal family, important politicians and leading businessmen and because I was with Alex and introduced as his girlfriend, I was treated as one of the group, though I felt everything but.

I floated through the whole evening in a daze, me! little old Charity Andrews hobnobbing with the cream of Britain, not even in my wildest dreams had I imagined that happening.

As for Alex he was amazing and so attentive, he held my hand and really only let it go when I needed the powder room, he whispered encouragement in my ear, guided me through the mass of cutlery at dinner and led me around on the dance floor and introduced me to countless people.

As the evening drew to a close and the royals retired, I struggled to stay awake and couldn't suppress a yawn, I hadn't stayed up this late for a long time.

"I'm sorry princess for keeping you out so late, come let's get you home and into bed"

He guided me with his hand placed firmly in the middle of my back out to his waiting car, where we said our goodbyes and drove silently out of the gates.

I was still trying to get my head round what had just taken place in my life, what just happened, does not happen to people like me, but yet it did.

Alex pulled me over till my head was resting on his shoulder then he wrapped his arm around me and I felt a warmth inside and out and oh so safe in his arms, as he lent down and planted a kiss on my forehead, I couldn't help the contented smile that crossed my face as I closed my eyes.