The Kings Visit

Alex and I had been on a date every single day since the fund raiser as I was now on Christmas break from college and sometimes two dates in a day as he got me to miss off work on occasions, he didn't spare any expense even though I argued he didn't need to lavish all that money out on me.

But Mr Stubborn wouldn't have it and ignored my pleading, so in the end I gave up and vowed to enjoy it, the cost to me was a little of my heart per date.

We dined in the Randolph Hotel in Oxford in a private dining room and watched films on a giant TV screen, then again in the Ashmolean museum with a quartet playing background music as we dined by candlelight, other times we frequented the New Theatre in Oxford and watched a variety of travelling musicals.

We laughed and cried over films and shows, held hands as we walked the streets of Oxford, even wrapped up warm and took a punt down the river, had lunch on a barge, the list went on and on and we got closer and closer.

But now the dreaded day had arrived, Alex's father the king was due to arrive in England on a whirlwind meet and greet with the cream of the crop business bosses as well as cabinet members and a lord mayor's banquet.

All designed to impress his majesty and hopefully he would do business with Britain, so he was getting the five star treatment, unfortunately the king wanted to meet Alex's girlfriend a.k.a. me! Plus Alex wanted me there as his plus one and the top knobs wanted me there, British girl dating prince good for business negotiations.

So it was that I sat tapping my leg up and down nervously as the Rolls I was travelling pulled up to the gates of the manor house Alex and now his father were staying at, awaiting my arrival.

Okay I had been to the palace and had dinner with the royal family that was nerve wracking enough and I was still being teased by my friends with their constant bowing and curtseying and attempted posh voices as they presented me with breakfast and dinner, but it didn't get me out of my turn to do the washing up and my chores.

But meeting the father of the man who insists I am his wife to be, is bad enough, but when he's a king of a goddamn country and you're being touted as the next Queen all be it by marriage to his son, who happens to be the crown prince then I feel I have the right to as nervous as hell.

The moment the car pulled up at the bottom of the huge concrete steps, I could tell things had changed, there were armed guards with dogs patrolling the grounds and a uniformed man rushed to open my door and help me out, before rushing past me up the steps to open the front door for me and bow as I passed him into the huge hall that I had stood in a few times in the past few weeks.

Brushing imaginary fluff of my new deep navy blue dress that Alex insisted I must have for his father's visit, along with more numerous pieces of clothing that were a must, forgetting that he had already furnished me with enough clothes to fill two huge wardrobes.

But apparently these weren't good enough to be seen in by the king, I couldn't even win by arguing that I would be wearing them in Masaconia and he would see me in them then.

"Princess" came an easily recognisable loud voice from the top of the stairs, just before he came bounding down and pulling me into a hug.

"Can't breathe" I managed to croak out.

"Alex, don't suffocate the poor girl" looking over Alex's shoulder I saw a tall erect man with salt and pepper hair a lean sharp featured face, broad shoulders, a neatly trimmed beard the same salt and pepper colour as his hair, dressed in an immaculate suit, a wide smile on his face.

There was no mistaking who this was the resemblance was there for all to see, Alex's dad the king of Masaconia.

Blushing profusely I backed away from Alex and on shaky legs managed to preform a curtsey and mumble an apology, to which the king let out a loud laugh.

"So you are the beauty that's got my son all in a state then" he then laughed a bit more, as I straightened up and looked at him with a puzzled expression on my face.

"Your majesty" I enquired.

"Oh now, none of that nonsense my girl, when I'm not on duty it's William, now come give me a hug" and he opened his arms as I stepped forward.

WTF? I was hugging a king, I looked at Alex for guidance to find him trying hard to hold back a laugh, I glared at him, before softening my look to a pleading look of help me I'm out of my depth here.

"Father don't suffocate my girlfriend" he chuckled.

"Girlfriend eh?"

"Well she hasn't agreed to make it official yet, but we are working on it"

What's with the we are working on it bit, no way can I do it, circumstances dictated otherwise.

"Well son I take it then this young lady is your companion to all our engagements whilst I'm here?"

"Absolutely"

"In that case Miss..."

"It's Charity your majesty" I butted in.

He glared at me and I gulped, I guest I slipped up and shouldn't interrupt a royal.

"Now Charity what did I say it's William when not on official duty"

"Sorry sir, err... William"

"That's better, now as I was about to say, we have a hectic schedule over the next seven days with two and maybe three functions a day to attend, so I hope you are fit, you'll need to beable to change your appearance quickly as the prince's girlfriend you can't be seen in the same outfit twice so I suggest..."

Now it was Alex's turn to interrupt.

"It's all taken care of dad, Charity will have a hairdresser, makeup artist and personal dresser and shopper accompanying her at all times, plus Franklin will be her chauffeur and bodyguard"

I just stood and listened as they discussed how I was to be treated, I didn't even get shocked anymore, it was such a natural occurrence for my life to be subjected to mingling with the rich and famous when I'm with Alex, nothing surprised me anymore.

"Excellent son, can't have the future Queen of Masaconia not living up to expectations, now can we" as he winked at me.

Now that statement did shock me to the core!