✆ 39

THROUGHOUT MR PARKER's class, Sam kept glancing at me and whenever I caught his eyes, he would look away

   "Where's Carla?" I nudge Brent, trying to make conversation and distract myself.

   "Don't bother, really." Brent dismisses me.

   We jump at a loud whack coming from the door. Speak of the devil. Carla walks in, swearing and cursing the day she was born.

   "Woah." I feel my eyebrows pulling up together at her sight. She looks bad.

   "Jesus Christ, McCollins." Mr Parker rubs his temples frustratingly at her sight.

   She narrows her eyes at Parker and ignores him. I feel Brent shaking his head, silently mumbling a prayer to 'chase Satan away from his sister'. I actually smile to myself.

   She marches towards me with a neutral look on her face. My mind drifts back to my first day here and I have to suppress an inconvenient chuckle because Carla doesn't look so happy.

   "Eva, I'm not in the mood," she throws me an apologetic smile. I look back at her questioningly. "I really need my seat back."

   I sense Brent shifting near me but I speak before he does, "Alright, but where am I going to sit?" I ask.

   She nods her head at Sam, making it clear that there are no available seats left except beside the jerk.

   Sam snaps his head towards Carla and shoots her a warning look. I widen my eyes at her, matching his, and mutter through gritted teeth, "I'm not sitting there."

   At that, Sam throws his bag on the empty seat. "Yeah." He nods his head and presses his lips together. "Very bad idea."

   Carla slowly laughs and I cringe. This was definitely the devil laughing. "Okay." She faces the board and stands straight. "Think I'm going to stay here the whole hour."

   I hear groans and disapproving moans in the background and I sink in my seat. This isn't happening!

   "Come on, Eva," I hear Wyatt say.

   How did she trade her guiltiness with my innocence again?

   Mr Parker turns to catch Carla standing and I feel like he's about to cry about it. "Carla," he pleads. "Do I really have to beg?" She shrugs and picks at her nails.

   "Fine," I mumble. "Just sit down."

   Ignoring the snickers and whispers, I stand up and casually try to keep my cool as I make a move towards Sam's desk.

   Having heard me, Sam clumsily removes his bag without a word and dumps it on the floor.

   I carefully slump in the seat and almost immediately am welcomed by his irresistible perfume. I clear my throat and awkwardly shift.