Chapter 17

November 19th, 2016

Dear Diary,

Rose isn't mad at me, diary. She understands. I wish she didn't understand. I wish she was mad, I wish she stuck her tongue out at me and called me names and said mean things when the teacher wasn't looking. Because then she was Rose, but Rose isn't Rose anymore. I'm not sure she has been for a while. I think she is in shock, I think she does not know what to think. And as she is clearly not thinking, she is being kind to me:
It's odd, isn't it, diary? As people continue to call me names and Harass me (Another word I learned from mommy,) they haven't said a thing to Rose. I do not understand it - as Daddy says, "We're both on the same boat here." So why me? What is it that sets me apart from Rose so strongly? But that is a selfish thought, diary. One that I shouldn't have thought.
Rose sits with Eve and Madeline and I at lunch now. I think she is learning. I am glad of that! We are even thinking of giving her a code name, too! But we would watch the movies instead of reading the books. Because - can I trust you with a secret, diary? Alright, here it goes: Rose can't really read.
It's not that she doesn't want to, she simply can't. I didn't know this until last week, I was coming back from the bathroom, and I was so thirsty I just had to take a drink that lasted exactly 2.43 seconds and I somehow picked up on Rose's and Mrs. Burn's conversation. It was a reading assment we had to take, and she was crying real bad, and she was talking about how all the letters swirled and flipped as she read. Mrs. Burns promised to talk to her Daddy, though, so she'll be alright.
     My goodness diary! I have put so much into you, I can barely move my hand! Well, until next time!

Unsure of my Own Emotions,

Nix