Chapter 26: Nate's ex comes to town

Start from the beginning

"You needn't worry. Actually, Emma has already laid claim to that video concept if you were ever to relinquish control," Nate told me.

"Emma?" I spurted with laughter. Of course, she had. It actually made a lot more sense than for me to do it. She'd make him look so much prettier than I was able to with my limited make-up skills.

"I'd actually love to see that. I'll remember to text her and suggest it. But what could you call the video "My Girlfriend's Gay Sister Does My Make-Up", I suggested jokingly.

"That's one heck of a title," Nate chuckled.

As next week approached, I had already forgotten about Tina stopping by the flat again. Nate had friends by the flat to film fairly often, like I said he knew a lot of YouTubers and he had always had a fondness for collabs. He loved sharing experiences with other people, which probably explained why around half the videos on his channel were collabs.

I was working from home, preparing for my start at university which was looming in the very near future, when I got a text from Nate.

*Meeting ran late but I'm on my way home now. Tina might make it before me though. Love U*

I recalled our sofa conversation instantly at the mention of her name. Okay, this was less than ideal. I had no problem with them filming here, after all it was a much prettier background than a hotel room but I did not do well with people I didn't know. I hated it in fact.

Patch must have sensed the rise of slight panic as he got up from his sunspot and walked over to put his head on my knee.

"I'm okay, boy," I assured him. We'd had him for a month's time but I already couldn't imagine life without him. He was always there. The flat never felt empty and cold, even if Nate wasn't home.

"We're getting a visitor soon," I told him as I stroked his head. "It's someone Nate dated a while back, though I would use the term "dated" loosely."

Nate didn't even call it dating, not really but he had gotten used to calling her his ex. Their ship had blown up back in late 2013 when they started tweeting a lot at each other. Everyone was convinced they would fall in love, no one seemingly bothered that Nate lived in London and Tina in LA. But heck, I understood how shipping worked so much better now. I could quickly turn heated, no matter how unrealistic.

The doorbell went and I jumped in my seat before I got up to answer it. You couldn't even press our doorbell with a code anymore, a feature the building had in installed as viewers kept stopping by and ringing all the flats shameless.

"Hello?" I asked.

"Hi, it's Tina," she replied in an American accent.

"Sure, come right up," I said and buzzed her through.

I had never watched her videos, as I didn't see the point. In the beginning of my relationship with Nate, I had worried a bit when I had seen a photo of Tina because she was almost like my opposite.

Tall, all curves, long blond hair, blue eyes, American and an unabashed confident girl.

The fun thing was, according to Alfie who'd mentioned it in passing ages ago, Nate had always had a type and Tina encompassed all the traits he'd gone for before I met him. He had always preferred blondes and girls who openly and proudly shared their opinion, which only made it even funnier that he'd ended up dating me, the most shy and awkward brunette.

I open our door as I could hear the footsteps grow closer and saw Tina climb the stairs. She was just like I pictured her, despite not having seen her photo in ages. She was tall but some of her height must come from those heels she was sporting. Her blonde hair flowed effortlessly perfect around her and make-up would have given Emma envy.