Tensions

The Sun had almost disappeared when the airplane finally landed on German land after almost twelve hours of travelling. I had tried to keep myself awake for the last ten hours in order to avoid jet-lag, but I had failed in my attempt. It was going to be a fun night.

I stepped out of the aircraft and my way to the Customs, already fed up with the airport protocol. Why did we have to wait almost twenty minutes to get out of the damn plane? As I waited in line, I texted him just to make sure he had not fallen asleep and forgotten about picking me up. Fortunately, he was already outside waiting for me, although I would have bet he would still be leaving his house now. Once I had my luggage with me I walked towards the entrance, where the dirty blonde curls I had been missing for ten days now were waiting for me. I grinned happily as he opened his arms to hold me tightly.

"Where have you been all these days?" he muttered softly as he buried his lips on my hair. "Your absence has almost driven me nuts"

"Just dealing with loads of works. Oh, and driving my brother up and down town to put up with his football games" I sighed and held his hand as he took my suitcase and walked to the car. "How have you been doing here?"

"You know, sleeping and eating pretzels. The dreamed lifestyle" he smiled and opened the front door with me. "How was Cali?"

"Sunny" I sat down and fastened my seatbelt. "And hot. But not as much as you" I winked and he rolled his eyes turning on the engine.

"Then you surely must feel at home" he said, pointing up at the wet sidewalks, driving through the busy streets of Frankfurt. Home is where the heart is, and my heart is always with you.

I felt the nerves increasing as we got closer to his hometown. I could feel Seb's gaze on me, so I turned my head and smiled at him. He reassured me with a grin and sighed heavily when he pulled up to the driveway. The front part of the house was blue and white, and on the way to the front door there were some pots with flowers in it. There was some snow on the street and a gulf of wind hit me as I stepped out of the car. Sebastian took my baggage and held my hand tightly as we approached the door. Before we reached it, his brother opened it for us.

"Ach, es ist sehr kalt" he said once we were in and he looked at me with eyes wide open. "Ist sie deine Freundin? Ich habe gedacht, dass alle deinen Freundinen blond waren".

"Ruhe. Und sie verstehen kein Deutch" he shook his head and introduced me. "This is Hayley. Hay, this is my brother, Fabian". I was going to shake his hand, but he embraced me instead. Weird, weren't all Germans cold and discreet?

"Uhm, hi..." I muttered shyly and when we separated, another two people appeared behind him. Okay, too many people in too little time. I must look as red as a tomato right now. "Nice to meet you, Mr and Mrs Vettel"

"Oh, what a lovely Mädchen" Mr Vettel said with a thick accent. I had always thought that Seb's drawl was way too strong but this was even heavier. I tried not to smile as, for some unknown reason, I found German's twang very cute. "I don't how you do it on the other side of the Atlantic, but you can call me Nobert" he grinned and stretched my hand, as well as Heikke.

When I was about to grab my suitcase to let Sebastian lead me to the room (and have a shower because I smelt like stale peanuts from the plane), two women came down the stairs and looked at me, I still don't know if surprised, confused or awkwardly. Looking around at all the people surrounding me I realised that perhaps was standing out a little, with my dark hair and eyes and tanned skin among five blondes (thank you Heikke) with blue eyes and pale skin.

"Fabian was right when he told Seb you are such a California girl" one of them let out before pushing the other one to hug me. This must be Melanie, I believe. Or Stefanie? Hay, remember the pictures Sebastian showed you! I actually had no idea about what she meant with California girl. Was she just mocking me or...? "I'm Melanie, by the way" she said when she pulled apart.