Rendez-vous pt. 1

The alarm went off at quarter past seven in the morning that Saturday. I rolled in bed to turn it off and groaned, rubbing my eyes. What kind of boyfriend made you wake up that early on a weekend? Dating a bed-lover had some downsides.

When I pushed aside the duvet, I felt the cold of December running from my feet up to my head- probably even freezing some of my neurons. I shivered as I put on my sleepers and the old but warm hoodie. Despite all the layers of fabric I had on, I was still struggling to move my fingers. Winter has always been my favourite season, but I loathed its mornings. Especially in Germany, where I used to arrive to high school looking like Rudolph: my nose was as red as a tomato. I thanked the inventor of central heating as I made my way downstairs to have breakfast. I looked at the clock hanging on the wall; I had exactly thirty-five minutes to get ready. He had told me to wear something comfortable but casual. What was that supposed to mean?

I thought about all the clothes I had while I had breakfast and tried to come up with the right outfit, but I had no idea about where we were heading to. He was determined to keep it for him and had not given me any clues. I missed him so much, we hadn't seen each other for almost a month now. He was busy with his driver stuff and so was I, but with the student life. Our lives were incompatible, we were aware of that. However, we tried not to think much about it although it seemed like everyone was determined to remind us that. I had even thought of moving with to England, but he was always on the road, so it wouldn't solve any problem at all.

Finally, I made up my mind and wore a maroon dress and black shoes. Comfortable but casual, just like he asked. When I was looking for my coat, I received a text. He was already waiting for me. I ran downstairs and left quietly, trying not to wake my parents up. The street was covered with snow, usual image in December in Heppenheim, and his Infinity was parked on the other side of the road. I walked fast towards the car and jumped in before I lost the feeling in my fingers.

"I don't like getting up early during Christmas holidays, so you'd better have something very exciting planned" I said fastening my seatbelt. He pecked my lips and drove to... the Autobahn? After that little kiss, blood went up to my cheeks and suddenly the cold wasn't bothering me anymore. It had been a while since he had kissed me and taste of his lips was still the same. I was sure that no matter how many times he kissed me, I'd never get tired of it. But I was still wondering what the plan was. "Where are we going at... eight in the morning?"

"Surprise" he smiled, speeding up as we reached the highway. Please, never stop smiling. "Trust me, waking up early today will be worth it" he stated and locked his eyes on the road. I yawned and leaned back on my seat. "I missed you, Morgenmuffel"

"Don't call me that!" I hit him softly on the arm. "My father used to do that and I don't want to think about him while I'm kissing you"

"Well, that would be weird" he laughed and I closed my eyes, covering myself with his coat. "You've got about one hour and a half to sleep, enjoy it" he mumbled with a smile.

"Trust me, I'll make the most of it"

I woke up to the feeling of some lips on my neck, which moved up to my earlobe to finally end on my lips. I grinned, still a bit asleep and opened my eyes slowly. Sebastian took his coat and put on his gloves.

"Bonjour, ma chérie" he whispered. "Bienvenue à Strasbourg" I was so confused. Were we actually in France?

"Wait, are we in Strasbourg or are you just pulling my leg?" I asked, even more disorientated. I just shook my head and stepped outside of the car at the same time as him. If it had been cold in Heppenheim, here was freezing. I looked around and the signs on the street confirmed it. He had taken me out in a date to France. When we spent a lot of time without seeing each other, we would always prepare something special, but this time he had set the bar really high. "Yes, we are in Strasbourg" I breathed in deeply and walked towards him to hold his hand.