Thirty

Chapter Thirty: When I'm No Longer Needed

"What?"

Avis hated how, despite the countless emotions and thoughts scattering through his mind, his lips could only part to form that one word—a pathetic, lone syllable that trembled from the back of his throat in utter confusion and disbelief.

It felt as if the rest of his world had melted away, and all that was left was a tiny stage where he and the two Legendaries remained. He got the sudden feeling that it was bright; far too bright, and that he couldn't breath and he wanted to leave.

"I am quite sure that you have understood our words." Yveltal's words held no trace of pity for him, and he didn't know if that was a good or bad thing. "I know that this comes as a shock, but everyone around you—including us—feels the same way."

Not giving him a chance to argue back, Xerneas stepped forward, her gaze kinder than her brother's, but those cobalt eyes still held a look of firm steeliness.

"Based on all the knowledge we have of this world's situation so far, your twin would be more useful if he was to be alive," she stated with no remorse in her eyes. "Please do not think that our decision is one of bias. We have just taken into consideration every logical reason we could think of."

The silence remained, a brittle force that lay between them like poison creeping into his skin. His parents didn't speak, and the Pokemon watching him from the corners of the room didn't dare to move an inch—and he found himself being the first to break the silence.

"So you're saying that I'm not needed in this world." His voice didn't hold any trace of anger, but the blank look in his eyes contained more than enough tension needed to fuel the atmosphere.

Before Yveltal could speak again, his sister cut in, eyes narrowed as she glanced at her subject, a well-hidden spark of flustered panic gleaning her face. "We are not saying that," she protested. "Lord Arceus has created all beings for a reason—"

"You don't follow Arceus now, do you?" The sentence was spat out like an accusation laid bare, and the Legendaries before him couldn't even begin to guess if he was still in shock from the announcement.

A ghost of a smug smile ran across his face—the words kept slipping out of his mouth before he could even consider speaking, and he was only able to stare at them with that same, stony expression—but he tried his very best to calm his mind and speak what he wanted to.

"I don't care." He meant it; he meant every single bit of it because none of this had any meaning in the first place—then, why was his voice so bitter? "I mean, I don't care if I die. Kill me if you want to."

A look of surprise ran between the two beasts, prompting a bout of telepathic chatter before Yveltal chose to speak up. His voice was wary, as it should have been, but the apathetic edge that solidified Destruction's personality remained. "We had assumed that you would be...more reluctant about this matter."