Prelude ∞ A

Prelude (Side A): If I Was This Way

One Year Ago

He snuck a glance at his twin, feeling the weight of his own blade grow heavier in his hand as he watched the boy before him wield a similar weapon with such ease—it was almost as if the sword had melted into his grasp and had become a part of him.

Perhaps he would have been able to pull off the same moves if he chopped his brother's arm off and stitched it to his body. The fleeting glimpse of dark humour faded as soon as it had come.

"Avis?" The teenager noticed that his partner had lowered his weapon, and he sheathed his sword with a concerned expression lining his face. "Is anything wrong? Why did you stop?"

The boy's words jerked him back to reality, and he tightened his grip around the hilt as he raised the blade once again. "Nothing, Aiden. It's just..." he cast his gaze to the ground, a scowl tugging at the corners of his lips. "I'm not even in the army. Why are you teaching me how to use a sword?"

A moment of tense silence paused as his brother flinched at the condescending tone his twin had used, but a smile crossed his face nonetheless. "Because Hoenn's infested this place," he shrugged. "Whatever you work as, you're in danger. You have to learn how to defend yourself."

Avis' reply was bitter. "I'm sure you're overthinking," he bit back. "It's been months since Hoenn was angered. Besides, you shouldn't say these things when you're dating a Hoenn girl."

"Lillian moved here because her hometown wasn't safe," Aiden defended. "I'm not saying that all of Hoenn are bad. But still, it wouldn't hurt to—"

The teenager opposite him cut into his speech, his sword clattering to the floor as he looked away, unable to meet the warm blue gaze of his brother. "I appreciate the thought, but I've never been good at using a sword," he muttered. "Anyway, I have to go now—I have work, and I'm sure you're busy too."

Neither of them paid mind to the few seconds where both of them stood stock-still, as if waiting for the other to make a move, but the purple-haired boy then broke the awkwardness and bent over to pick up the discarded weapon.

"Right. You have a shift at the herb shop," Aiden sighed. "I guess it can't be helped. We'll continue another day when I get the time."

Running a hand through his slate-blue hair in a last-minute attempt to neaten himself, Avis' cold expression softened as he shook his head. "Thanks, but I don't think I want to continue. It'll be wasting both of our time."

His brother simply flashed him a small, sad smile, as if he knew just what he was thinking about—and that irritated him because he didn't. "Alright, then." He fastened his cape around his shoulders once again. "I guess I can't force you. Tell Yan I said hello."