Bathes On Maple. St

"What the hell happened to you?" My new boss, Nina questions.

I limp behind the dinner counter, trying to knot my apron around my waist with shaky hands. With crossed arms, my blonde boss worriedly circles me, wincing at the ugly black bruises the size of quarters staining my skin. I'm covered in them, I'm more bruises than person. Luckily, my face is only sporting a split lip, and nothing worse.

"It looks worse than it is." I shrug off, avoiding her question. I can't exactly say that a monster threw me down my stairs in an effort to kill me. Every sane person in the restaurant will send me to a psych ward.

"Did you get into a fight or something?" She presses, still gaping at my wounds. Instead of answering, I spare a shake of my head.

"Did a boyfriend do this to you? You can tell me." Nina lowers her voice, glancing over her shoulder at the customers on the stools.

"I don't have a boyfriend."

"Then were you mugged?"

"No."

"Emme! Tell me why you're hurt!" Nina demands, an anxious look in her eyes. Her concern makes me still. No one has looked at me like that in a long, long time. A nervous expression framed by caring. For one moment, I don't think about the monsters up in my house trying to kill me.

"I-I.... um, fell down the stairs." I half truthfully answer. I don't tell her a red eye monster threw me down them. The thirty year old deflates with a hefty sigh.

"Be more careful, kid." The cold Nina is back, her usual bored expression isn't on her face, instead she's trying to hide a small grin.

"Are you sure you can work like this?" Aren't you in pain?" Nina asks, gesturing at my marked limbs.

"I can work." I'm not missing my first day of work. I need to work. I need every tip, even if it's just a darn dollar. Elliot's update on our emptying fridge is in the back of my mind.

"Positive?"

"Absolutely." I eagerly nod.

"Stay off your feet as much as possible, and you're getting a long break." Nina insists.

"Thank you, Nina."

"Don't mention it. Seriously. Don't." She waves off, the grin falling off her face. "Go take people's orders, Emme."

------

The icy chill of the wind doesn't make me shiver, no, the house does. Trembling out on the front lawn, I warily stare up at the worn down house.

"Can we go inside? It's cold." Elliot pleads, clutching his backpack for warmth. Reluctantly giving in, I prioritize keeping my siblings warm over my fears. Elle and Elliot slowly follow me as I limp up the front steps. Nearly dropping the keys, I struggle to steady my shaking hands. In the end, Elle has to unlock the door for me.

My stomach drops as I step inside. All I want to do is bolt out the door as fast as I can, but there's no way I'm leaving my siblings alone in this house. The red eye monster guy said they don't attack children, but can I really trust the word of a guy trying to kill me?

"Emme, you're really pale." Elliot points out. My siblings watch me with worried eyes, their little faces looking up at me as if it's the last time they'll ever see me.

"Do you want go to the free clinic?" Elle offers like the ten year old has to take care of me. I want to be anywhere but here. Despite my horror, I can't scare them. They can't be scared in their own home; afraid to fall asleep in their own beds, or anxious to be in a room alone. More importantly, I need to stand my ground. Those things want me to run away, but this is our house not theirs.