Welcome To Maple St.

"I have a paper cut!" Elliot mumbles as he sucks on his small finger. Elliot and Elle stand on step ladders, ripping off the tacky, yellowing, shredded floral wallpaper. I'm scrubbing the wooden floor of the soon to be playroom with Clorax and water.

"Emme, can I borrow your gloves?" Elliot asks. Referring to the damp yellow latex gloves on my wrists.

"I need these so chemicals won't seep through my skin. But I'll kiss it better." I say. Elliot fake gags at my proposal, "Nevermind." Elliot says, turning back to the wall. I roll my blue eyes, continuing to scrub the floor.

We've been cleaning all day, from the living room to every bedroom. We all have jobs; Elle's and Elliot's tasks is clearing off the wallpaper from every room. While I did the scrubbing, dusting and disinfecting. As I scrubbed the scratches engraved into the wooden floor today I keep thinking back to my phone.

Every time I remember the damaged buttons my stomach drops. The realtor must have found it and I guess I missed it when I first entered the kitchen. That's the only explanation that makes sense, and honestly the only one I want to believe. Or those pranksters from Halloween must have broken it, freaking hilarious.

"Hey Emme, I'm hungry." Elle says. I let the blue sponge fall back into the bucket and peel off the rubber gloves, the gloves sliding off with a squishy snap.

"Me too." Elliot chips in.

"I'll cook mac & cheese." I say, carefully standing up on the wet floor, glad for a break. The three of us literally slide out of the room, laughing as we stumble over the wet floor. We take the back stairs to the freshly cleaned kitchen, the wood cabinets shiny from polish. I open the only cabinet with food, all bare except a few cans of tuna, boxes of macaroni & cheese, two boxes of spaghetti, ten cups of instant noodles and a box of cereal. Our food budget is pretty low since I just put down seven grand for this house. I had to drain my life savings, and dip a little into Elle's and Elliot's college funds, but it was worth it.

I dig out a rusty pot that is pretty dinged up. I start to boil the water on the little old stove, watching over the pot as it bubbles. I add in the noodles, hearing them clatter against the bottom of the metal pot. All three of us jump as the doorbell suddenly chimes off. It was a deep, heavy bell that bellows through the whole house.

"Someone's here..." Elle says quietly. I try to ignore my hands calming up and my heart leaping up into my throat. The three of us exchange a look, all mirroring a slightly panic expression. I take a sharp breath and march to the door, not really sure what I'm expecting. I hear Elliot's and Elle's footsteps rush over me as I hesitate at the door.

"Are you going to open it?" Elliot asks, his voice tight and low with fright.

"What if its that crazy old woman?!" Elle shrieks.

"Doubt it," I say over my shoulder to Elliot and Elle and if it is I got a knuckle sandwich to give her. I grip the brass doorknob and swing the door open and nearly choke on my own breath.

Instead of the wrinkly, crazy old bat standing on the dark porch it was a familiar woman about forty years old. She is tall, has a head full of dyed blonde hair and blue eyes that are staring at us like we're ghosts.

"Oh! Hello!" The lady greets perkily. I remember why I recognize her, she gave Elliot and Elle candy on Halloween, she owns one of the largest house on Maple Street.

"Hello." I greet, nowhere near as enthusiastically as her.

"I can't believe it, someone actually bought this house." The blonde woman practically gasps, looking past us into the house.

"Um... ok..." I say, not sure how to take that.

"Nice to meet you new neighbor! I'm Michelle Tucker, I live at -" She starts but Elle cuts her off.