Open House On Maple St.

"I don't want to go back there!" Elle gasps.

"Emme! Please! That place is evil! I swear! They're going to hurt us!" Elliot cries as we walk down Maple Street.

"I don't want to go back there either, but I dropped my phone when that creep grabbed my ankle." I say, gripping harder on their hands. Elle starts to sniffle with tears as the house comes into view.

"Emme! Please! Don't make us!" Elliot pleas, his voice shaking, and his nose running.

"What a horrible prank! And on kids!" I mumble angrily as I practically drag Elle and Elliot behind me.

"Please! Please! They'll hurt us!" Elle cries.

"Not on my watch. And they were just playing a trick! It was Halloween, they were just trying to scare us." I reason. Though... I don't know how they can stop a beating heart for just a prank.

"And I only need to look out in the yard. We won't knock, or go inside, or talk to those jerks." Elle and Elliot quiet down, a lot more relieved.

"Fine... lets just do this as fast as possible." Elle says. We march onto the property, the house looking much less frighting in the day time. Leaves crunch under our shoes as we look around, walking in circles for the little device.

"Do you see it?" I ask.

"No." Elliot says.
"Nope." Elle replies. I sigh in frustration, knotting my fist in my dark hair. Don't tell me those idiot pranksters took it. I breathe harshly through clenched teeth, anticipating the worse. Those fuck boys must be prank calling every number stored in the old phone. My phone bill is going to be way scarier than their prank.

"Like the yard?" A voice pipes up and we all nearly jump out of our skin. A woman in a black pencil skirt and red blazer grins at us, a real estate badge pinned to her breast pocket. The woman's red hair is stiffly pinned up, not a hair out of place and her hands are clasp tightly, red finger nails shinning in the autumn sun.

"Open house?" All three of us ask.

"Yes! The open house for this lovely, rustic Victorian house." The woman chimes.

"T-that's impossible. There is an old lady living here." I stutter, earning a confused look from the agent that makes my stomach tie up in fear.

"Yeah, we tricked or treated here last night." Elle backs me up.

"An old lady was inside... And..." Elliot can't continue. Instead he buries his brunette head into my hip.

"No, I think you're mistaken. This house has been on the market for 20 years." The red head states, her words making my body stiffen.

"What?! No! There was like an eighty year old woman! And a teenage boy! And... They all live here! They played a prank on us!" Elliot exclaims as I gape at the woman. But what really catches my eye is the for sale sign at the edge of the propriety swinging in the early November breeze that wasn't there last night.

"It was probably some neighborhood kids playing a trick on Halloween." The woman waves off.

"And the old lady?" I ask, raising a brown brow.

"Probably someone's grandmother just joining in. Trying to feel young." The agent reasons in a tight voice. Whose grandmother lurks in a dark, creepy house grabbing children?

"But I assure you, the house is completely safe and no old woman is living here." The lady states which only makes my stomach tighten up in fear.

"I checked every room, every closet and even under the beds. Its fine." She adds.