Twelfth Flight

"You're giving me a ride," I said, playfully narrowing my eyes at Jay. He just smirked.

"Of course I'll give you a ride honey." He winked and we both both burst out laughing. Shane wasn't laughing though. I thought it was funny. "Do you need a ride?"

"Nah, I'm gonna' take the bus. Uhm, thanks for the offer though," Shane gave a polite smile to Jay before turning around.

"Let's hurry up and go home," I complained.

"Sure, but I'm crashing at your place bro'."

"'Kay." That was all I replied with.

As soon as we got in the car Jay turned on the heater and the rain picked up again. The melody of the sounds of cars passing by, the whirr of the pleasant heater, and the rhythmic almost tapping-like sounds of the rain hitting the glass sent me straight off to sleep.

Jace shook me in an attempt to wake me up, which worked, only because I wasn't in a deep sleep. "Hey, we're here."

"What? Already?" I said groggily.

"Yeah. Already. Now c'mon, I'm really tired 'ya know."

We got out of Jay's car and Jay locked the doors with the automatic button on his keys. When I knocked on the door there were no sounds from within. I knocked louder, praying that Lierra wasn't in some sort of comatose-like sleep. A minute passed and Jay sighed. Rather than knock even louder, I decided to ring our annoyingly loud doorbell.

After a few rings I could hear shuffling, followed by grumbling and a curse words that Lierra would never admit to saying aloud, the door opened. "Why are you back so late?" Lierra sounded more miffed than concerned. "Did you forget your keys?" She followed up, without waiting for my response to the first question.

I thoughtlessly ran my right hand over my pocket. And there it was. That familiar bump and jagged edge of my house keys. "Nah, I forgot 'em in my room," I lied to save face. I wasn't trying to make her even more angry. Besides the fact that I would have been mad as well if I were in her position.

"Oh." Lierra muttered something tiredly before rubbing her eyes and stepping aside so we could walk in. When neither of us responded she cleared her throat before retrying, "you can go sleep in Deviin's room, Jacen. That's okay with you, right Deviin." It was a question, not really.

As Jace and I pushed open the door to my room, Jace tapped me on the shoulder. "Uhm, does she know I don't like to be called that?" I had intended to merely shrug a simple 'I don't know' so we could move on and get some sleep but the tone in his voice made me turn around.

"I'm not sure if she knows," I gave a sympathetic gesture, "but she will, I'll make sure to tell her tomorrow." I tried to smile as reassuringly as I could.

"Hey, thanks man."

"No problem. Now can we go to sleep?" I practically threw myself at my bed. Jace did as well and landed beside me. "I think we're gonna' suffocate if we try to sleep on this tiny ass bed together." I groaned and Jace looked over at me. "And I'm not sleeping on the floor." Who knew what atrocity hid beneath the clothes strewn on it.

"My doctor says I shouldn't come in contact with toxic waste." Jace retorted.

"Ha ha ha, very funny," I said sarcastically.

I rolled Jace over to the side of the bed against the wall and propped my pillow against his back. "Don't complain when I crush you tonight." There was no answer. "Jay?" And then I heard a light snore. Figures he could fall asleep in an instant. I lay back down and soon followed Jay's example.