Eighth Flight

She didn't handcuff me, thankfully. Not that it made the situation alright - just better. Officer Rosenburge quickly explained that she was taking me into questioning regarding me witnessing suspected drug use while on campus. Everyone knew who did what. It wasn't like it was rocket science to figure out if people had been getting high in the school's parking lot. But only the really dumb ones did that.

When we got down to the station it was Trevor Taylor's hands who were cuffed and he sat there, looking absolutely terrified. For a guy who liked "Living on the Wild Side", he was looking most similar to a child. I guess I could help him out.

I listened carefully at what other people that had been questioned were chatting in hushed tones about. The general concensus was about the same as mine. No one had said anything about him being the culprit - even though anyone with half a brain could tell he was guilty.

It was my turn. The questioning room wasn't the one that one would expect to see based off movies. It was just an office with walls that were a little too white. Two standard fold-up metal chairs were there, but that was it. No dangling lightbulb - no guy trying to play "good cop, bad cop". Just a Lieutenent who looked like he was more than ready to hit the hay, so to speak.

"We got this call in on," the officer looked at his stack of papers, "October fifth, from a concerned teacher." He paused, looking up at me as if he was assessing whether I was about to tell him the truth, or spin a tale. "You were at school that day, or up until that moment. You had ample time to witness a student illegally smoking marijuana in the parking lot." He looked towards for a responce.

Crap. If I saved Trevor's ass, I screwed myself over. I would be admitting, on record, that I skipped school and at that time that I had not seen Trevor out there. And if Trevor was aquitted of all charges, where did that leave me? I was at the place, at time. I could just as easily be linked back to the whole thing. If I ever did get charged with anything, at least let me have actually done it, sheesh.

I couldn't believe the words about to come out of my mouth. "I admit, I skipped school. When I walked out, towards the the parking lot I did smell something. But I don't recall seeing Trevor."

"And you're sure about this?" He interjected.

"Actually, no," I said, giving his mind room to wander.

"And why not?" He was leaning forward now, hands folded together.

"Well this incident happened, let's see a little over a week ago. I didn't memorize the incident. There's no possible way that I could remember with absolute certainty."

He made a 'hm' noise and quickly wrote something down in small cursive print. "Okay, thank you for your time."

I hoped I at least raised some suspicion on the event. The police officer, Rosenburge I believe, offered to give me a ride back. I accepted with great reluctance. I really didn't want to, but then again I forgot my wallet and wasn't about to walk all the way home.

When I got back home, as I was unlocking the door Miranda approached me. "Hey. Is everything alright?"

"I guess." I said, lightly.

"Wanna' come over?"

"Sure." Besides, I was starving, and Lierra had failed to leave non-cookable food in the kitchen (that I hadn't already eaten).

When we entered, Miranda handed me a plate of cupcakes. "My mom always makes so many of these."

I took the plate, biting into and devouring a whole cupcake.

Miranda pointed up the stairs. "First room to your right."

"Huh?"

"Well you're not sleeping in my room." She raised an eyebrow and made a face while she said that.

I chuckled. "Really? 'Cause this is your chance to be all over me." I gave her a wink and a goofy grin so she knew I was only kidding around.

"In your dreams loverboy." She pushed me, although lightly, to avoid dropping the cupcakes, in the direction of the stairs.

I walked up the stairs and quietly set the plate down. I tip-toed behind Shane who was peacefully laying stomach-down on his bed. "Bah!"

"Wah!" Shane nearly screamed, jumping almost a foot off his bed and landing on the floor. Once he calmed down he kicked me in the shin. "Ouch," I complained, holding my leg for a moment. "I guess I deserved that?"

"Damn right, asshole." He smirked.

I laid back on to his bed. "So, what're you up to?"

"Nothing much really, just planning for the weekend."

"Why? What's happening?"

Shane turned over and gave me a look like he had hoped I would ask.

"Well you know, Miranda and I are planning a trip down into the mountains to go skiing. 'Wanna come?"

"Sure, sounds better than what I was originally gonna' do."

"And what would that be?" Shane had an amused look on his face.

"I don't know. Probably just laze around the house. My usual brand of laziness." I smirked.

"I could've guessed that," Shane remarked. I tackled him pinning him to the floor.

"Did you guess that?"

Shane laughed, "No, you're full of surprises," he mocked.

"Damn straight." My heart was kinda' beating irregularly. The way it did with Alexa. Except Alexa wasn't here. In fact, I hadn't seen her since school. Shane's skin was especially pale. Much paler than my sun tanned skin. And his hair looked really soft. And his lips looked kinda' soft. I mentally backtracked - well that thought wasn't a little weird at all. It was a lot weird.

Miranda shoved the door open, "Hey guys did you know that-" she stopped mid-sentence. "Oh, am I...interrupting something?" She gave an impish grin.

"Yeah, we were just about to get it on," I awkwardly chuckled, 'Not helping,' I mentally scolded myself.

Miranda laughed wholeheartedly while Shane looked like a deer in headlights. "No worries - I was just kidding," I added, patting his shoulder and getting off him.

Shane nodded and at that time my phone chose to vibrate in my pocket. I pulled it out, saw that it was Alexa, slid the green call icon on my Android and put it up to my ear. "Hello?" Miranda and Shane awkwardly turned away to give me privacy.

"Deviin, we need to talk."

"Aren't we talking right now?" I countered, a hint of a laugh in my voice.

"Deviin, this is serious. We need to talk. Now."

"Why, what's up? Is something wrong?" I started to get worried. Alexa was being vague and her tone wasn't her usual brand of bubble gum cheeriness.

"I'll tell you when I see you. This is too important to discuss over the phone. We have to do it face-to-face."

I could kinda' see where this was going. Shit.