Chapter Eighteen: Baby Steps

Start from the beginning

Dylan shrugged, "I would think its about time you did so. I would hate to see you that injured again."

Max took the cigarette out of his mouth. He turned towards the open window and blew out softly. "Hmm. Really?"

"Yeah." Dylan said with a smile even if Max wasn't looking his way. "Come eat before your soup gets cold." He said patting the spot beside him on the floor.

"Not hungry."

"What? At least eat a little bit. Even if you're not hungry it'll make me happy to see you eat something." Max turned his way with a skeptical look. Dylan considered his look and then flushed a bright pink color and shook his head rapidly , "No! I didn't mean it that way. I was just-"

Max broke out into a laugh, "Stupid~ I know you didn't mean for me to drop your pants and suck you off in the middle of your room with the window wide open." Max wiped the side of his eyes gently and walked towards the bathroom. Dylan could see that even walking was painful to him as he was limping. Dylan heard the faucet and peaked inside. Max was putting out his cigarette and then looked back at Dylan with a small glare as he turned on the lights and closed the door shut.

Dylan laughed softly as he could no longer see Max. He wanted to ask. He almost felt like he needed to know who had gave him so many bruises and left a cut on his face. Though, he felt like the atmosphere was nice around them at the moment and he didn't want to risk Max getting angry at him again. For now, he would just gain Max's confidence and take Nico's advice of making an effort to hear Max out instead of always accusing him of sleeping with someone. He had to drop his bad habit of always bringing it up.

He could only think of how guilty and horrible he had made Max feel in the past. Mentally, Dylan understood that whatever Max did with other people did not define him as a person. However, emotionally, he couldn't help but look at Max with a sorrowful expression. He had never been exposed to a person who slept with others for money. It was a new concept that he would have to get accustomed to if he wanted to stay by Max's side.

That was another realization of his. He actually wanted to stay by Max's side. Though, many obstacles stood in the way. For one, Max's distrust of him. No matter how much he wanted to be by Max, if Max didn't want Dylan to then he wouldn't. He didn't wish to make him so uncomfortable. Dylan was just thankful that Max hadn't voiced a strong disagreement to having him around. Max's actions always went against his words, which Dylan always found too adorable. Another problem was Nico. No matter how close he got to Max, Dylan felt like Nico would always be right behind him, breathing down his neck. The last, and possibly the biggest problem at the moment, Max's age. Max was two years younger than him so he had already promised himself not to raise a hand with bad intentions on him until Max reached eighteen years old and of course, with consent.

Dylan sighed softly and let his forehead fall down on the table. He could already hear Mikhail and Dan throwing jokes at him for falling for a minor. He had spent nights wondering if there was anything he could have done differently to prevent himself for ever falling for Max in the first place. He came to the conclusion that there probably was no solution. He would have fallen for Max in every single situation he could think of. His eyes, blonde hair, his rude remarks, the way he scowled at everything Dylan said, the way he held himself despite everything that's happened to him. They were all points that Dylan liked about Max.

Dylan heard the bathroom door open and picked his head up. Max turned off the lights and closed the door behind him. He made his way over to the table and sat down very slowly across from Dylan. "You made this? What is it?" Max asked as he lifted an eyebrow and picked up the spoon and tilted it, watching as the soup fell back in.