Chapter 13

|Viola|

We sat on the bed of the hotel venting. But that guy from earlier keeps on popping into my head.

I know bad your husband almost got kilt and I'm thinking bout a nobody.

I kept on Nurturing Philip in hopes he will stop crying. I wanted to drop him in Willies lap and walk away.

I cant do that i started kissing him on his cheeks and he stopped. "do you know what this means?" He asked in a low voice.

"yeah the kisses stopped his crying"

"Im not playing Nola our lives are in great danger..we leaving tomorrow first train back to the south."

"No!" i said finally putting my foot down and standing up to him.

"Im not bout to become a house nigger or a share cropper when I came from riches and fur."

"You really wanna stay?!" he said raising his voice at me.

"yes! they lynching folks out there at least here we have some peace."

I stated not even notcing my southern accent i burried under my fake snobby one slip out.

"C'mon Nola you know you too dark to be a housie anyways" he said in a light snicker.

"Fuck you Willie and this marriage good fucking bye." I said looking at the door.

"Well I'll write." he said picking up his stuff and heading towards the door.

|William|

I kinda wish I left with Nola but again that's what happens when you marry a stranger.

I boarded the back of the train and sunk into the seat.

I watched as families waved off to their love ones. I looked at the pocket watch that had a photo of Nola and Myself inside.

2:43 am I sighed in frustration. She is so damn stubborn..she better send photos of my son.

Thinking bout the whole thang got me more upset.

You would think after what happen she would wanna leave too.

I watched the trees move fast once we were out the tunnel/station. To think it was just recently we were happy.

It's my fault I know but how was we spoused to survive? I tried my best to keep her bouji ass happy.

8 exactly

I got out the train and was immediately hit with the Southern heat. didn't bring much being the fact that most my shit was blown up.

That kinda made it easier to leave. I walked into the small station to grab a map.

How the hell was I spoused to get home tonight ? or at least my mama crib. It was a big black woman behind the counter.

"I wouldn't walk this time of night round her..." she said staring at me.

"How am I spoused to get home?"

"I'll give you a lift into town but that's all I can do." She said grabbing her Purse.

I followed her out the door and out back to where her car was parked. Gawd I missed hearing the crickets and feeling the stickiness in the air.

We drove into Open Springs my old town there I could walk bout. People where hanging around on each other's porch.

I walked into the old store where I had my first real conversation with Viola.

When I saw who was behind the counter I nearly wanted to pass out.

Ida.

_________________________

Is it a dream?

A reality?

A haunting illusion?

Find out next

5 votes & 3 comments for next chapter