13

I tried not to think about my fight with Prim during class, but it sort of overtook my mind a couple of times.

"Calla- Calla are you listening?" Scarlet shook my shoulder during math.

I shook my head. 

"I can't get this out of my head," I mumbled to her.

Scarlet patted my shoulder. 

"I'm sure you'll do fine. You can't beat her butt. What's the answer for number twelve?"

I sighed. "Three hundred and ninety-two."

Scarlet smiled. "Thanks. Are you trying out for the softball team?"

I sighed yet again. "Yeah sure. Are you?"

Scarlet smiled. "Yeah and gymnastics. What position do you play?"

I smiled. "Pitcher, you?"

"Catcher. They still need coaches. I was thinking your Dad and my Mom?"

I looked down at my paper. "I don't know. He's so busy with Bucky and-"

"Barton! Rogers! It looks like more talking than working!" our math teacher yelled at us.

"Sorry, Mr. Gear." We said at the same time.

I bent my head and did my work.

*SKIP TIME*

"So you're seriously going to fight Prim?" Jake walked next to me at the end of the day.

"If that's what it takes. I think her boyfriend is a big weeny. He's having his girlfriend fight for him."

Jake winced. "You would fight Devin Sandler?"

I smiled. "Yeah! Do you know who my Dad is?" I stopped at my locker and threw my books inside but kept my backpack.

Jake leaned up against the lockers. "Um, maybe the most patriotic man on earth."

I turned around. "Okay, I'm ready."

Jake put a hand on my shoulder. "You better take her down!" He whispers yells.

I walked out into the courtyard to see that a crowd has formed. I push through to see Devin rubbing Prim's shoulders like a boxer and talking into her ear.

I throw my backpack down. "Yo reindeer spawn! You ready?" I already had a plan in my head.

"Reindeer spawn?" Prim steps forward. "Really mature."

I bowed. "I thank my Uncle Tony for that one."

Jake smiled and patted my shoulder. "You got a plan?"

I nodded. "Yep."

A girl stepped between us. "Okay ladies, I want a good, clean fight. 1,2,3 fight!"

We circled each other. Prim looked pale.

"What are you waiting for, princess? Too scared to start?" I say.

"Don't call me princess!" Prim snapped.

I shook my head. "Oh well. I'll start then."

I jutted forward like I was going to tackle her, I stopped. She pushed through the crowd screaming and ran into the street.

Devin threw me a glance and ran off to find her.

I laughed hugged Jake. "I told you had a plan." I threw my arms around his neck and kissed his cheek.

Scarlet came running up to me. "I knew you would win!" She hugged me.

Eva hugged me. "I love to see my cousin running away scared." She smiled.