Burned

I sat across from Tsukiyama in the same spot as yesterday and sipped on my coffee.

"Rhiannon-san, how does becoming my reading partner sound?"

"Reading partner?"

I set the teacup down, letting my gaze drift towards the collection of books forming on the shelves of this owner's cafe. I like that. A cafe with its own library. I played with the idea of opening up my own cafe and having something like that someday. But back to Tsuykiyama. From my view, he seemed desperate for a friend.

"Yes. We could read the same book, listen to each others' thoughts about it, give novel recommendations and such."

"Will you listen to what I've been trying to tell you if I say yes?"

The Gourmet nodded, the corners of his lips tugging upwards into an innocent smile.

"Okay, Tsukiyama, we're... book buddies now. Happy? Will you please answer my questions in return?"

"Of course!"

"What happens when..."

I leaned over the table, gesturing for him to inch closer in order for my whisper to reach him and only him.

"...a ghoul cannibalizes for so long?"

"Ahh... why is little Rhiannon interested in such things? Could it be you're thinking about eating your own kind?"

Tsukiyama stared at me for a beat before his features dropped. But only for a second. After recovering himself, he cleared his throat.

"I see. You've already engaged in such folly matters."

"Stay on topic."

"While cannibalizing does strengthen your kagune, you could end up losing your mind like my dear Kaneki-kun."

Lose my own mind? Go berserk like Kaneki did? What if I kept going down this path? What happens if I end up attacking Juuzou and hurting him?

"How long have you been...?"

"Not very long."

"Well, Kaneki-kun has been eating his own kind for the past 6 months. I didn't think it could happen so fast but it happened."

"Is it possible to control it? And not go berserk like Kaneki?"

He cupped his chin with his long fingers, a crease forming between his eyebrows as he thought about it.

"I'm not sure. But knowing my amazing Kaneki-kun, he'll control it in no time!"

Tsukiyama snapped his fingers, his demeanor changing quite rapidly.

"By the way, Rhiannon-san... What's your reasoning?"

"Hm?"

"There's enough food here in the 20th Ward. Surely, you don't prefer the taste of ghouls to humans?"

"T-that's none of your business!"

"My, blunt as always."

Tsukiyama lifted the teacup to his lips but before they could make contact, he stopped short of his actions.

"Oh my, there's a person outside that's been watching us for the past couple of minutes. Strange. I can't tell which gender they seem to be."

My heart stopped. That can only be—

"Friend of yours?"

Juuzou.

"I-I got to go."

I jumped out of my seat, shuffling out of the cafe. When I got out, Juuzou wasn't there anymore. He had already walked several footsteps away from the cafe. I started jogging to catch up with him.

"Juuzou, wait! I have to tell you something!"

Once I caught up with him, I stood in front of him. He shoved his hands inside of his pockets and shifted his gaze back to the cafe before looking back at me.

"You don't have to tell me anything. I get it. He's taller. He likes reading."

"What? What are you talking about?"

"You met someone else."

"S-someone else?? No, Juuzou, that guy is... he's just... a friend! An acquaintance, actually!"

Juuzou wouldn't look at me. I touched his shoulder but he jerked away from my touch.

"Juuzou?"

I cupped his face in my hands and forced him to look at me. Then I pressed my lips against his. But he didn't kiss me back. When I pulled away, Juuzou had his mouth set in a straight line. His eyes were cold and icy, which scared me. His eyes aren't suppose to be like that. They're meant to be bright with life, lively as a dancing flame.

"I hope you two are happy together."

He ripped himself away from my touch and shoved past me, stomping down the sidewalk.