Shinohara

Juuzou sat on the ground in front of the giraffe exhibit, with a sketchbook in his hands and a box of crayons beside him. I sat next to him and watched him draw his giraffes. He's been studying so hard for the past few weeks, I thought it was time to give his mind a break. Well... if I'm honest, half of the time we weren't studying. But it wasn't my fault. Ever since Juuzou learned how to kiss, he's been doing it a lot more often. Not that I'm complaining...

I watched him draw exactly as a little kid would. But his drawings are much cuter. Now usually when I picture a ghoul investigator, most of the time they're wearing formal suits and a white coat. They're strict and reserved during their jobs. Juuzou is everything except that. Due to his odd fashion sense, one would never believe that he's an investigator. With his playful demeanor, he's childish and cheerful. Yet he has a savage side to him when it comes to exterminating ghouls. I've seen it many times in these last few weeks.

While I was out hunting one night, Juuzou's scent was in the air. I hid in the shadows as the prey that I had been stalking suddenly got attacked by another ghoul. That's when Juuzou stepped in, slaughtering the ghoul in neat little pieces. I almost became sick to my stomach even though I'm the ghoul here!

All of a sudden, a little boy with his father walked past, interrupting Juuzou's sketching. They seemed to have interrupted his thoughts as well. 

"Juuzou?"

No response. He kept staring at the little boy holding hands with his father. I reached out for Juuzou's hand, the one with his fingers curled around the crayon, until he came back to his senses. He turned towards me with a blank look on his face.

"Are you okay?"

"Of course, why wouldn't I be?"

Juuzou seemed off, somehow. Like that time when he had brought me home after I had almost let myself fall off the building that night.

"Hey there, you two."

A hoarse voice called out from behind us. Juuzou craned his head back and smiled, beaming at whoever it was behind us.

"Shinohara-san!"

Juuzou's high pitched voice called back. I turned around to see a tall, bulky man making his way over to us. Juuzou's partner... Who is also a ghoul investigator. I stood up, dusted myself off, and shook hands with Juuzou's mentor who had already appeared in front of me.

"Ah, you must be..."

"My girlfriend!"

Juuzou sprung from his sitting position on the ground. I felt slight blush form over my cheeks. The man laughed in a kindhearted manner.

"You're definitely Rhiannon. I've heard so much about you."

"You have?"

"Of course! Juuzou talks about you nonstop."

I looked over to Juuzou and saw the unbelievable happen. A slight tint of pink bloomed across his cheeks.

"Shinohara-san~~ You're embarrassing me!"

"Seriously?! I didn't take you for that type of guy."

I laughed, feeling a warm sensation surround my heart.

"So how about I take the two of you out for dinner tonight?"

The warm feeling in me turned cold within a matter of seconds. I could already feel my intestines disagreeing with me and I haven't ate anything yet. How do I turn down this invitation without sounding like a ghoul in front of ghoul investigators?

"That sounds great!"

I forced myself not to wince at the shrill note Juuzou's voice hit. Juuzou had just accepted this invitation for the both of us...

I am so screwed.