Red Paint

I wandered down the streets of the 20th District until I heard my surname stretched out by a bubbly, high-pitched voice.

"Kamishiro-saaaaaaaan!"

Turning in the direction of the voice, I found Suzuya jogging in his red slippers to catch up to me.

"Where are you going, Kamishiro-san?"

His irresistible scent wafted its way past my nose.

"To buy paint. I'm going to paint my room today."

Suzuya clasped his hands together, seemingly excited.

"Ooooh! Can I help you?"

"Of course."

I wondered about whether or not I should bring up what happened at Big Girl yesterday but then decided against it. Why am I even bothering with it? I'm after him for a meal, nothing else.

"What color are you going to paint your room, Kamishiro-san?"

I hadn't had the chance to decide on which color yet. But since I'll be bringing Suzuya over to "help" me paint, I'll buy red paint so I can cover up the blood splattered walls later.

"Red."

"Oooh, how pretty!"

When we had finally found a store that sells paint, one of the employees directed me towards the section with several different shades of red. I chose the darkest red possible. As soon as I purchased everything we needed, I showed Suzuya the way back to my aparment.

"It's not much. But I'm sure it'll look better once we've painted the walls."

With your blood.

Almost as if he heard my thoughts, Suzuya swiveled around, a solemn gaze boring straight through my skin. I simply returned his gaze with a kind smile. Within a moment, he smiled back. It's like he has a sixth sense or something. Not that it matters. I'll do this as quickly as possible. Following him into my room, I crept up behind him as he broke the seal on one of the buckets of red paint. I tapped Suzuya on the shoulder, and handed him a paintbrush. Then I placed sheets of newspaper on the floor. Almost immediately, he dipped it in the bucket, painting right away. Some of the drops of paint spilled onto the floor, missing the paper entirely but I was too busy trying to decide whether I should eat him now or after we've finished painting.

"What are you thinking about, Kamishiro-san?"

Suzuya must have sensed something because he stopped painting to stare at me.

"I'm just imagining how these walls will turn out afterwards. I'm excited. Aren't you?"

I walked over to his side, and thus made my decision.

"Mm-hm! Super excited!"

After the bottom half of the walls were finished, only the top remained. It was then I realized that both of us weren't tall enough to paint up there. Usually, I would use the advantages of my kagune but I can't really do that today.

"I should have bought a ladder..."

Suzuya just grinned at me with droplets of red paint splattered on his face.

"Who needs a ladder? I have an idea, Kamishiro-san!"

Suzuya's idea was for me to sit on top of his shoulders and paint the rest while he held me up. I smiled at how silly it sounded but decided to go with it. He crouched on his ankles as I climbed onto his shoulders. Then he grabbed my legs and abruptly stood up without warning me. I tilted from side to side, on the verge of falling.