Secret's Out

Juuzou and I strolled around a quiet park, hand in hand, until he stopped at a tree. Leaning against it, he tugged me towards him. I threw my arms around him and melted in his soft embrace. I pushed him farther against the tree, pressing my lips to his.

I should tell him. I need to tell him. Before it's too late. Before something bad happens to me. If the person that's been following me around isn't Yomo, then it has to be Shinohara. I know revealing my true identity to Juuzou is beyond stupid but it's better if he hears it from my mouth instead of someone else's. Seeing Nishiki and his human girlfriend really opened up my eyes yesterday. Does she even know he's a ghoul? If they can make it work then maybe Juuzou and I can...

No. No, that won't happen. Juuzou is a part of the CCG. He'll kill me once he finds out. That's his job, after all. But I can't avoid this any longer. It has be to said.

"Juuzou?"

"Hm?"

Juuzou slightly cracked open his eyes, gazing into mine. I gulped a little too loudly, swallowing back the anxiety.

"Has Shinohara told you anything about me?"

"Shinohara-san? About you? No. Why?"

"Because there's something you need to know. And it's better if it comes out of my mouth instead of Shinohara's."

He cocked his head to the side, curiosity rooted deep within his delicate features.

"Let's just say... For instance... Let's pretend that I..."

The breath stalled inside of my lungs. Shit. I can't do it. My lips won't form the words I want to say, if I could even find the right ones. Still leaning against the tree, Juuzou shoved his hands inside his pockets. An amused smile played upon his lips. Swallowing the fat lump forming in my throat, I wiped my sweaty hands on the sides of my jeans.

"What would you do..."

I stared at Juuzou's shoulder which was just inches away from my face. It would be so nice to let my head ease into that cozy spot between his shoulder and his chin and just stay that way. But I can't. I sucked in a big breath and let it out, along with that one word that could destroy it all.

"...If I told you I were a ghoul?"

Juuzou didn't reply. He didn't say anything. His face, now devoid of emotion, stared at me for a couple of beats, scaring me. Until he finally spoke up.

"I would..."

Suddenly, the sound of something tremendous smashed against the ground, making both of our heads whip towards the noise. A massive and muscular man stood atop the wreckage, the concrete cracking and breaking off in several directions beneath him. Something between a gasp, a shriek, and a choke escaped from my throat, my heart rate lurching into overdrive.

Why? Why are you here? Why now?

There was no doubt about it. It was him. My father.