Chapter 5: Ila, 1885

We had been at the training facility for a week. No word had been sent as to the location of August or Nathan. William had been 'officially inducted' as Brennan said when he finally beat Garrett in a fight. Everyone was focused on strength training so we would be prepared for when we had to fight again. Each day we had a different fighting partner to learn different fighting styles. We worked to learn how to best work together but we also learned strategies of how to fight the enemy. I was currently in my bedroom writing my report on Will as we did for each new member. I wrote of his strengths and weaknesses as well as how he worked with the other members. 

"Alyssa," Brennan called, knocking on my door. 

"Come in." 

Brennan pranced into the room waving an envelope in the air. "We have a letter from Papa Goodrich." 

I snatched it and tore into it. 

My darling Alyssa,

We have received disturbing news about your brother. It is with deepest regret that I inform you that your brother is not what we had thought. He is a Grae. It appears he was killed by August shortly after your Grandfather's death. We can only assume he is one of the Graes that are stage three. I wish I could continue this letter to bring you good news, however there is more. We have lost track of August. He may still be in Gaerian, for now I ask that you stay in Ila. I won't force you to stop working; I just feel you will be far safer in Ila than back here at headquarters. Now here are my orders for you and your team. Headquarters has received word that a small group of Graes is lurking on the border of Ila. They are coming through the Shaerin Forest and through Desert Valley. Split into teams of your choice, but make sure you all are careful. Call me as soon as you make it back safe and sound. 

Richard Goodrich

"So these are our orders," I whispered. My eyes lingered on the part about Nathan. "Brennan." 

"What does it say?" He grabbed the letter from me. His jaw dropped as he finished it. "Is this true?"

"I don't want it to be but it makes absolute sense," I replied. 

Brennan rested his hand on my shoulder. "Let's talk about it when you return. For now, get ready. I will go tell the others." 

"Of course." 

I waited as Brennan left the room before I sat down confused. August slipped through our fingers once again. Would there ever be an end to this war or is it going to continue on even after we are gone? My heart was frozen in my chest. I wanted a world of peace. A world that would allow for children to be raised without fear. Where people could die without having to fear whether they would be forced into becoming a Grae. A fair and free world is what I want. In order to do that, August needed to die along side his army. I figured I would make my way down to the hall. My uniform was already on and I just grabbed my sword as I left my bedroom. 

Our orders had been issued. Find the Graes and eliminate them. This would be Will's first official mission as a member of the resistance. I buckled my sword around my waist and stood waiting for the rest of the group. Anderson was wearing his swords in an X on his back, while Garrett and Will adjusted their gloves to fit perfectly. Nalia and Kai were already out by the gate checking that the coast was clear for us to leave. I took the lead, bringing my group out of the building. 

"Where is it exactly that we are going?" Will asked. 

"The intersection of Ila, the desert and the forest," Anderson replied. "It's a basic sweep mission. We do this stuff all the time." 

"Enough chitchat," I snapped. "What we need is a plan so no one gets hurt. Nalia, Kai, you two have more long distance weapons, I need you to hold back and protect us. Garrett and Anderson, you know what to do. Will, stick with me." 

Everyone nodded knowing what they were supposed to do. When we got to the destination, it was eerily quiet. Motioning with my hands I had Garrett and Anderson head towards the desert with Nalia trailing behind for back up.  Will, Kai and I found our way into the forest. Taking careful steps so as to not alert anyone of our appearance, we found what we were looking for. A group of fifteen Graes were walking several feet to our left. They were headed straight for Ila. 

"Not happening," I breathed. "Kai, take to the trees. Will, you take them from the left, I'll come up behind them. Don't get caught." 

Kai nodded before scaling up the tree silently. Will took a deep breath before taking off for the left side of the group. I waited shortly so as not to cause any extra noise. When I was sure Will was in place, I ran to the right of the group and slipped behind them. Kai shot the signal arrow, taking out a Grae dead center. Will and I began to take out the last fourteen. 

"Straggler!" Kai called. "I can't reach him with my arrows." 

"Keep an eye on Will, I'll take care of him," I shouted before running after the Grae that was heading back towards the North. "Not so fast, you bastard." 

Swinging my blade, the Grae's head fell to the ground with a sickening thump. I turned to head back when the sound of a branch snapping caught my ear. Spinning in the direction, I stood braced for an attack. A warm hand covered my mouth and a strong arm wrapped around my waist, pinning my arms to my side. My sword fell from my shocked hands. Someone walked up before me but I couldn't make out their face in the dark. A silk cloth was slipped over my eyes. I couldn't even scream for help as they gagged me. I was being dragged off somewhere and I had no weapon to defend myself. Whoever was restraining me was doing so in a way that I couldn't even fight hand to hand with them. A chilling breeze brushed my face and the person holding me tied my hands together. I was then lifted high, and from the neigh, I realized I was now sitting on a horse. My captor rode with me for what felt like hours. 

When we reached our destination, I struggled against my kidnapper. The binds around my hands made it nearly impossible to go anywhere. My eyes struggled to see out of my blindfold. Whoever took me had removed my eye patch. They knew about my eye. My stomach rolled as the possibilities filled me. I had serious fears of whom I suspected. The black blindfold was removed from my eyes. I blinked at the sudden onset of light. 

"Welcome Alyssa," he called, arms spread wide. "I have been longing to be reunited with you." 

I said nothing in reply. My skin was crawling beneath Nathaniel's touch.

"I was so happy to hear that your brother found you." 

"Don't lie, he is not my brother. He is just a stupid Grae," I hissed. 

A loud laugh emitted from him. "Oho, so you figured it out. The body is that of the boy who was once your brother, but now his soul is one that I created. He is my second greatest creation. He is the only Stage Four Grae in existence. He is the equivalent of a prince as your precious Brennan would have said." 

Nathaniel chuckled and licked the side of my neck, running his fingers along my arm. "Should he tell you more, sister?"

"Get off of me you sick bastard."

"Tell her more, my Lord," Nathaniel whispered. I could feel his breath upon my neck, making me sick to my stomach.

August grinned. "You are right, Nathaniel. She should know more. First, allow me to formally introduce myself. My name is August Rinehart, it's a pleasure to meet you."