Chapter 2: Desert Valley, 1885

The ride through the desert from Gaerian to Ila would be treacherous. Not only would we have to worry about Graes, but we would also have to worry about Bandits. That was the main reason for deciding to have William stay at my side. I didn't want to have any more worries; so it was safer to keep him close to me. I glanced at Garrett before me; he was riding on a white mare. He was still sulking from the fact that I wanted to stay by William. All of us were wrapped in sandy brown cloaks that covered our head and mouth. My breath wafted back towards my face due to the cloth covering my mouth. It was making it hotter, but the mask was necessary to keep me from gaining a mouthful of sand. Will road parallel to me with the others an equal distance in front and behind us.

"How much longer?" Anderson grumbled.

That poor boy hated being separated from Nalia. No one was supposed to know what was going on between those two but everyone knew anyway.

"Maybe another half a day," I answered. We had already been out for two days. Taking the shortest route between Gaerian and Ila. Graes blocked off the original route we were going to take, so we had to find a short cut straight through the desert.

Will's head whipped to the right. He turned to me suddenly and leapt onto Beau behind me. He pulled my dagger out from the top of my boot and threw it towards where he had looked. Anderson held the tip of his sword to Will's throat.

"Do you have a death wish?" he growled.

"Look."

I glanced to where Will had pointed. Lying down with my dagger in his forehead was a Bandit. Anderson jumped down and pulled the knife from the dead man.

"Behind you!" I shouted.

Anderson spun around, bringing his sword up to protect himself. He grunted against the weight of the Bandit's sword. I went to jump off of Beau but Will wrapped his arm around my waist.

"Don't. Just look."

"Dammit, let me go! I can't abandon him!"

As I struggled against his hold, an arrow knocked the Bandit to the ground pining his shoulder. Anderson slashed the fallen man. I turned my head to look over Will's shoulder. Nalia and Kai came riding up.

"What are you doing here?" I demanded. "Weren't you following August?"

Nalia laughed. "Oh calm down Al. We are here on orders." She jumped from her horse and walked over to Anderson. She held a handkerchief to his forehead to stop the blood.

"You should be more careful," she whispered.

I turned to Kai. "Explain."

"Yes ma'am. August fled the city the minute you left. He appears to have escaped to Nathaniel's ship. They have been trying to tell if he has headed up North or to the East."

Gritting my teeth. I nodded. "Alright."

"Why, dammit?"

Everyone turned to look at Garrett. He was glaring at Will.

"Why are you able to sit on Beau?"

"Are you serious?" Anderson laughed. "You are angry because Beau likes the new guy over you?"

"Of course I am! I have been trying to get that damn horse to like me for years!" he grumbled.

I rolled my eyes and whistled to catch their attention. "Okay, we really need to get moving. We still have a long ways to go."