Chapter 3: Ila, 1885

Will pulled on the glove that Brennan had made for him. The white glove extended from the middle of his hand to the middle of his upper arm. Black vine-like lines wrapped around the white glove. It was apparently there to control his inner power. A smile twisted on his lips as the material clung tightly to his arm. The atmosphere around him suddenly changed. An air of danger surrounded him. He closed his eyes; the glove began to glow and swung his fist into the air. It looked like he was hitting at nothing when a hole appeared in the fighting doll across the room. His eyes opened and he smiled throwing out a few more punches knocking off the doll's arms and head. Amazing! In just putting on a piece of fabric he could use his own body as a long distance weapon. To see him in combat would be amazing. Seeming to sense my eyes on him, he glanced up and smiled, waving at me. I shook my head and looked at the doll before me.

Before I could start up my practice, Garrett entered the room. He was wearing a pair of loose pants and no shirt. On his hands were his fighting gloves. I grinned and looked over at Will. He would see what a true fighter was like. Garrett grinned in his dark way as he slapped his hands together. His gloves sparked and started to glow around his knuckles. Spikes formed over his knuckles and the metal on his palms disappeared. He used a form of magic to transform the metal into dangerous spikes that he uses to harm with. When the spikes were finished, he swung his fist out and made contact with the fighting doll. The wooden doll split in half. Laughing, Garrett closed his eyes summoning several dolls up. He then took them each out one at a time. His power was so similar to Will's except he was close range instead of long distance. Though it would be interesting to see what damage Will could do at a close distance.

Nodding at the fallen dolls, Garrett changed his gloves back to their dormant state. He turned to Will then and held up his hands, ready to spar. Will chuckled and swiped his left arm at Garrett, who blocked with ease. The two of them threw many different attacks at the other, each on a level equal to the other. When it was clear that neither would be able to win against the other, they turned towards me. I shook my head. Before I could object Garrett came at me from the right. I lifted my arm to block his punch and jumped up swinging my left leg at his head. He blocked my kick with his left forearm. With my back turned to him, Will attacked me from the back. Sensing his attack I flipped around and brought up my wooden sword effectively warding off his attack. Anderson jumped in on our fight and took my side. He had two wooden swords in his hands. He took to fighting Garrett as I fended off Will. I held up my hand to Will, calling a time out. He nodded and we stepped back watching Anderson and Garrett. The two had been friends for most of their lives and they trained together for as long as they had been friends. Garrett was quick to block an attack from either of Anderson's swords.

"You're good," Will said.

"It's nothing really. I have been training really hard these last few years," I replied, never removing my eyes from Anderson and Garrett's fight.

"Why are you so cold towards me?"

I looked up at him shocked. "I'm not cold. This is just how I am. I don't trust people easily."

"You trust Anderson and Garrett," he pointed out.

"I have known them for a long time."

Will's hand touched my arm lightly drawing my attention back to him from the fight. "You have no reason to not trust me. I will prove to you that I am loyal to your cause. I won't turn my back on you. I wish to gain your trust."

I grinned. "I accept your challenge, William."

He laughed at that and bowed his head. "By the end of this month, I will have your trust."

Bringing my wooden blade up to his throat. "Don't be so open Will. It will get you killed."

He grabbed my hand with his gloved one and pulled me close. "Don't think you have won so easily with a cheap shot like that."