Chapter 1: Gaerian 1885

Darkness ruled this world; fear kept normal humans under control. Countries were wary of one another.

This country is split into five regions. North, West, South, East, and Central. Each is filled with their own advances in the world. The Northern part of the country is known for it's military skills. Everyone that joins the police force or the military is required to go through training in the North. The Eastern part is known for it's magical advance. Since the Eastern Ocean splits the Eastern states from the rest of the country no one really bothers them. The Southern and Central parts are the main grounds of our political parties. Our president lives in the Central city while the secretaries under him reside in various parts of Central and the South. The West however has to be our most technologically advance part of the country. Our greatest scientists live in the west. However, our country is corrupt. Over a century ago, a man appeared from the Northern part of country. He was highly trained in military arts as well as in magic and science. Power hungry he started a war with the country. Having such powerful skills he created dark creatures called Graes that are practically indestructible. With the deaths of so many military officers, new Graes were born from the ashes. It appeared that the man created his army from the corpses of dead fighters. This man transformed those who died with a fighting spirit into a Grae. That is where we come in.

In this dark time there is a resistance but there were so few who were willing to fight back. The resistance group enlists scientists, magicians, and soldiers. Within the order you can either be in research or be in fighting. I joined the fight over a year ago. The day I turned fourteen I was able to help. Naturally I had trained most of my life to gain the strength to fight, but I was only allowed to join when I was deemed old enough. Currently, I am resting from a mission I just returned from. Deep in Ila, the most western portion of the country is a facility where we train our new recruits. I make a trip over there every few months to train our fighters in specialty fighting. Unconsciously my hand touched the patch over my left eye. My special eye made me different from others. People were afraid of my eye, which is why I wear the black patch. No one understands me so I have always felt lonely in this world. Even amongst those of the resistance, they too were wary around me.

                  "You are thinking too much."

                  I spun around, tensed. "Don't sneak up on me!"

                  The lean, dark skinned man Garrett Foster stood before me laughing. He was of some sort of Southern descent, but he was filled with an air of mystery. No one knew much about him except he is an excellent fighter. "Oh, Alyssa, you would have been less startled if you had hear me call your name."

                  I rolled my eyes. "What is it you need?"

                  "Chief is calling for you. He sent Nalia, Anderson, and I to search for you."

                  "Well you've found me, let's go see him."

                  Our journey to the Chief's office was a long one. The staff offices were on the other side of the building from the dormitories. I stared at Garrett's back as he walked before me. He was wearing the uniform of the resistance. An all black uniform designed per the request of the person wearing it. Garrett's uniform was made especially for him to make his movements smooth in his hand-to-hand combat. Soft leather boots wrapped around his feet beneath his straight black pants, which he kept, tucked into the tops of his boots. Stopping at his waist was a black jacket with the symbol of the resistance. Our symbol was a silver cross behind a red rose. I had been told that it was the same symbol of my family; I have no such memories of my childhood.

                  "Don't think about it, Al," Garrett called over his shoulder.

                  Stupid Garrett. He seems to always know what I am thinking, like a sixth sense of his. I sighed and nodded. He was right. Thankfully we had arrived at our destination. Sitting behind a heavy oak desk in the office was an elderly man hunched over a large map. He was pointing to locations while arguing with the men standing before him. All of them were dressed in the same black uniform as Garrett. It made me wish I had been wearing mine as well.