Tattoo of the Black Angel: Chapter 1

Start from the beginning

'Move in, move in!' Heather told Beth and Amanda quickly but, it was too late. Jennifer saw exactly who the girls were staring at and came in for the kill.

'Can I help you two with anything?' Jennifer asked in a sweet manner as she waltzed right up to our table. I felt my face blush and I tried to find something other to stare at than her leering, cold eyes, but there was nothing on our table that was interesting enough.

Amanda and Beth immediately turned bright pink in embarrassment.

'No, we're fine thank you,' Heather told her smiling.

'Uh huh, well if I catch you lot looking at my boyfriend there will be trouble,' she spat then walked over to Henry.

'Well, it could have been worse,' I said letting out a huge sigh.

The waitress came to our table carrying our drinks and the conversation about Henry was instantly dropped for fear of Jennifer eavesdropping. So the next topic was university courses, and instantly the girls were intrigued by me.

'What is it you do?' Amanda asked me, drinking her drink slowly while trying to catch Henry and Jennifer's reflection in the napkin dispenser. I didn't really want to get onto the topic of my course. Not that there was anything wrong with it, but sometimes I found myself placed in a situation where people thought I was too stupid to apply for a "real" course.

I drained my special hot chocolate, giving me a perfect excuse to leave if necessary and clearing my throat, I replied, 'It's a BA in Sport and Exercise Science.'

The girls were clueless. I hadn't really known them very well, so they were curious about me. They were really acquaintances, meeting them in town now and again and also at our Student Union.

'Wow, well as long as you're getting good exercise.' Beth smiled. Unable to extend the conversation about me, I decided to let them off the hook and leave them to finish their drinks.

'Well hey, pop round some time for a chat when you're free,' Amanda suggested.

'Yeah, we live on Cedar Road, Flat 4D, it's the blue door, can't miss it,' Heather added.

'Sure, that sounds fun.' I bobbed my head like some demented pigeon and taking the empty cup back, I paid then left the café in a hurry. However, as I walked down the street, I had barely taken ten steps when I heard the café door open behind me and a voice call out, 'Hey.' But as I turned round to see Henry looking at me, the café door opened once more, and Jennifer appeared angry. Without waiting for her, Henry instantly began to walk off.

'I know you fancy her!' Jennifer began to follow an ill-tempered Henry, who had his hands in his pockets with his shoulders hunched. I moved out of the way and hid by the doorstep of the tattoo parlour so they wouldn't see me. 'I saw her looking at you just now, and I've seen you stare at her from across the room. Since you spotted her a fortnight ago you always seem to be there when she's there. It makes me sick!'

'I'm not stalking her,' he said bitterly. 'And it doesn't make you sick, it makes you jealous.'

'I can't be around you anymore. If you can't devote your attention to me then I've had enough! I want you to leave me alone!' She stomped past him and began to walk up the lane towards where I was standing.

I didn't want her to see that I had been eavesdropping on her argument, but where to go? I saw the door handle to the tattoo parlour. A bell rang above me as I opened the door and darted inside. The door closed just in time to watch Jennifer walk by. She was crying. I felt sorry for her, but I didn't have time to ponder on her and Henry's break-up then, as suddenly I heard a loud bang behind me. Jumping a mile in the air, I spun around and saw two men in front of me. One was a bald man who was nearly completely covered in tattoos. He was standing behind a counter that was laden with books that were about mythological creatures. The second man wore a smart brown suit and a bolo tie. I had never seen them before.