Fix you

Niall wasn’t at school the next day.

It’s funny, but I could just tell by the atmosphere.  The kind of charisma he had when he was alone with me was astounding in contrast to the angry, malevolent boy that had hated me for so long.  Something I hadn’t noticed before — something that you could only pick out if you were paying attention.

I went through first period with ease.  My schedule had gotten switched around due to teacher work hours changing, but my classes after lunch were basically the same.  French, my first class, had always been natural for me, since I’d heard my parents speak a small amount over the phone on business calls and various work activities.  They’d taught me some, and the knowledge came in handy.  I had trigonometry next, another thing that came easy to me.  It was one of the subjects I focused on when Niall and I were working together.  Third period was filled by World History, something I didn’t care much for.  Fourth had become my free period, right before lunch.  I had found that going home and making lunch was nice, but for some reason I had brought it today.

I still sat in my car, like usual, but it didn’t feel like it always had.  I didn’t feel ridiculed anymore, not cast out because of who I was.  It felt almost normal — like this was the most normal thing that had happened to me in a while.  My chest rose and fell in a breath of relief.

I finished my sandwich and crackers that I had brought.  I hadn’t been too hungry lately.  Checking the time, I realized that I had twenty minutes until sixth period started.  Resting my lunch bag in the passenger’s seat, I closed my eyes and leaned my head back against the headrest.  I rubbed my temples, feeling stressed without cause.

I was jolted out of silence by a knock on the passenger’s side window.  I inhaled sharply, startled by the abrupt noise.  My gaze flashed to the window and immediately my brow pulled together.  Keaton was staring back at me, looking worried.

I rolled down the window without pause, which might have been stupid looking back on it.  What if he just came to pick up where Niall had left off, since he wasn’t here today?  But Keaton had never given me trouble before, and I didn’t feel like giving him a reason to joke about my cowardice.

“Keaton?” I asked warily, eyeing him.

“Samm,” he replied, resting his hand on the window frame.  “I’m glad I caught you.”

“I’ve been here all day.”  I shifted in my seat to face him, uncertain of his presence.

He huffed.  “You know what I mean.”  Keaton glanced around the parking lot for a second before tapping his foot and taking a deep breath.  “Can I sit?”

I nodded, unlocking the car door for him.  He opened the door and slid into the passenger’s seat, closing it after him.  I had barely reached for the lever when Keaton began rolling up his window.  He seemed a little nervous, but I didn’t know why.

“What’s going on?” I asked hesitantly, pulling my feet up to the seat and resting my knees against my chest.

Keaton chewed the inside of his cheek, watching my face as if debating saying anything.  I suddenly felt self-conscious, curled up in the driver’s seat like a child would be sat.  I put my legs down and set my hands in my lap.

“Niall doesn’t handle rejection well,” he started.

I blinked at him.

Keaton hissed a sigh and rubbed his forehead.  “I know how that may sound to you.”  I didn’t think he did.  “Because I know how he treated you.”

My jaw clenched as my fists did.  His eyes flashed to my hands and his expression faltered.  I saw pity in his face, and I sighed visibly.

“But you have to understand that it isn’t entirely his fault,” Keaton continued, rubbing his head.