Fix you

I woke up with a pounding head and a warm stomach.

I groaned, my headache growing worse as I tried to open my eyes.  Why did my head hurt so badly?  What was going on?  I searched my memory for an answer, but couldn’t find one.  Not until I recognized the stale taste of alcohol in my mouth.

Last night came back to me, though I didn’t remember most of it.  But I remembered Niall going off with Keaton, leaving me alone.  I remembered waiting for hours, doing nothing.  I remembered the girl who’d given me the drink, but not her name.  I remembered dancing a bit, then it all disappeared until the guy kissed me.

I bit my lip.  He’d kissed me.  My first kiss, and I didn’t even know the guy’s name, let alone remember his face.  I remembered how I’d wanted him off, how I’d been about to pass out.  And I remembered Niall, pulling him off of me - his angry expression while talking to the guy, then coming over to ask if I was okay.  Why had he done that?

I reached up to rub my eyes, then to pull down my shorts that had ridden up in the back.  But there was something blocking my way - a comforter.  Though it was weird, I never slept with a duvet.  Only a thin blanket decorated my mattress, so I knew that I wasn’t in my own bed.  The thought woke me up right away.

My eyes shot open despite the pounding in my head, and I looked down at myself.  My hair was in tangles, my shirt was pushed up to my bra line, and there was a pair of arms around my middle.  The realization that my clothes were still on comforted me a small bit, but the fact that I wasn’t waking up in my own bed scared me.  I followed the arm up to the shoulder, then the person’s face - 

“Niall,” I whispered, my breath hitching.  I was in Niall’s bed.  I was in Niall’s room.  I was in Niall’s house.  I was in Niall’s arms.

My body went rigid and I flinched, stirring him a bit.  I panicked, not wanting him to wake up.  What would he say about this?  He’d never wanted anything to do with me before.  He’d told me I was horrid, disgusting even.  What would he do if he found us like this?

I tried to gently pry his arms from around me, but only succeeded in jarring him.  I cursed as he stirred, then laid back as still as I could.  If he thought I was asleep, maybe he wouldn’t be as angry.  After all, it was his arms around me.

But what surprised me even more was that Niall - still very much asleep - drew me closer.  His chest pressed up against my back, his arms growing tighter around my middle.  I winced.  Contact like this with Niall was terribly uncomfortable and foreign.  But the odd thing was that I was getting used to it.  Though the bruises on my leg and forearm were still fairly new, I was expecting less and less to be hurt by Niall.  I was getting more comfortable with him.  But that wasn’t necessarily a good thing.

Which is why this kind of interaction was awkward and unwanted.  I bit my lip and tried to ignore my pounding head as I slowly reached for Niall’s clasped hands again.  My fingers closed around one of his wrists and pulled gently, but he didn’t move.  I cursed under my breath, then tried again.  This time, Niall started to stir.

My body went rigid and I moved my hand away as quickly and carefully as I could manage.  My eyes shut tight as he took in a long breath through his nose.  Niall’s body shifted abruptly, lodging one of his legs in between mine.  The soft fabric of his pants rubbed lightly against my bare legs, and I bit the inside of my cheek to keep from crying out in frustration.

I suddenly felt his forehead land against the back of my neck, and I stiffened my already solid form.  This was completely foreign, and I didn’t like it at all.  What if he actually did wake up and find us like this, with me awake?  What would he say?  What would he do?  I had to focus on getting out of his arms.  But one thought briefly held my attention.