Chapter 5

Chapter 5:

Recap:

“Hey Christine, we are here to help you. Your father says that you have been hearing things at night?" She looked at me and nodded. “Well have you seen someone?” she thought about it and shook her head to say no. “What have you been hearing?” I asked

“Bad things” she whispered.

“What bad things?”

“I hear voices they tell me to do bad things”

“What do they tell you?” asked Giselle.

Suddenly Christine smiled eerily at us like she had some secret.

“Daddy” she said, “do you know what happened to Mr. Snuffles?”

“Honey I told you he must’ve got lost”

She shook her head and giggled, I saw Tristan’s face pale and

Rebecca clutched he head, “No daddy he didn’t get lost. He died.”

“What? Christine how do you know that? Sweetheart why didn’t you tell me did you find him?”

She shook her head again and smiled eerily once more and whispered,“I killed him daddy” and then she broke into maniacal giggles again.

Jaden’s P.O.V

I shivered involuntarily and tried to gauge whether this girl had a psychological problem or this house was indeed haunted. I looked into her eyes and didn’t see any emotion, they were so dead. Mr.Martin just sat there in shock and in silence.

“Christine” I said, “when you say you killed him you-”

“I took a stone and crushed his head with it” and she laughed again.

“Why Christine?”

She now grew quiet and looked around as if afraid. “She told me to do it”

“Who?”

Christine just clamped down her lips and refused to speak. Mr.Martin called for the housekeeper to take Christine away. He turned to us and said, “I had no idea”

“That is ok Mr. Martin, have there been any other anomalies?”

“No its just that Christine has gone all strange, she keeps to herself, she hasn’t been eating properly nor has she been sleeping. She stays up all night talking to herself.”

“Mr. Martin” said Tristan, “don’t take this the wrong way but have you considered getting her professional help?”

“I did. But one session with the therapist and the therapist said that she was fine and that moving to a new place must be taking a toll on her, she was completely different in front of the therapist.”

We stared at each other, this was really puzzling. I looked at Rebecca and she looked equally bewildered.

“Rebecca do you sense anything?”

“No that is what is bothering me! It’s like I can almost sense it but I can’t be sure”

Mr. Martin stared at us trying to figure out what we were talking about. Tristan seemed to be talking to someone in low whispers and all of us realized it must be Josh and he must’ve made himself visible only to Tristan so as not to startle anyone else. I tried diverting Mr. Martin’s attention.

“Mr. Martin, do you know anything about the history of this place?”

“Not really, the only reason I bought this place is because I got it at a steal bargain. It had been with the local bank. The previous owners had mortgaged it, I guess.”