Chapter 20

Tristan's POV:

We all sat there in ominous silence and let the implications of finding out about the presence of 6 demons set in. I for one was so overwhelmed that I didn’t know how to respond.

“Mr. Smith” spoke up Jaden, “What happened with Rick and Nina?”

“They were never the same after that. One night rick tried to kill Nina and almost managed to succeed if it hadn’t been for Gustav here. Gustav heard Nina scream for help and rushed in and found Rick trying to choke her to death!”

We all turned to look at Gustav and saw him shudder.

“Mr. Rick was changed. He looked evil and his face was distorted! I had to throw him off her!”

“We had Rick committed after that. After 2 days we found out that he had killed himself in his room in the psychiatric ward.”

Giselle looked anguished and Rebecca was paler than she usually was.

“If you don’t mind me asking how he killed himself?” asked Jaden.

“He kept banging his head against the wall till he literally spilled his brains out and died” said Mr. Smith in a blank voice.

“Mr. Smith do you believe that your son killed himself?”

“No”

“I don’t believe that either”

“What do you mean?” I asked.

“Tristan, he wasn’t crazy and he loved his wife. This was the work of the Susurro Tenebris, the dark whisperer. It plants an idea in its victim’s head and doesn’t stop until the victim acts on it.”

Jaden took a deep breath and said, “Mr. Smith the way I see it this is what happened. Susurro Tenebris was summoned to basically destroy your family. It is one of the most evil demons and most difficult to get rid of. The rest were just background noise. Of course once the Susurro Tenebris planted the idea in Rick’s head of Nina’s affair an incubus was summoned to impregnate her just so that it would strengthen Rick’s belief. The evil lady has been here forever but had remained dormant; instigating her has just been an added bonus. The poltergeist is there to cause distractions and the noises just to further mess with your minds. The Timor gives you nightmares and makes it seem like a reality. All of this was to distract you all and keep you distracted from the bigger picture.”

We all stared open mouthed at Jude.

“What is the bigger picture?”

“Mr. Smith, along with a lot of other demons there is an interfectorem puer present here. It’s a demon who kills children. It is capable of killing a child in its mother’s womb.”

We all thought over it. I was trying to understand what Jaden’s angle was. I looked at the girls but they looked as confused as I did.

“I believe it was here just in case that Nina was expecting a baby it would finish it.”

The girls gasped in horror. It was too much for even me to take in.

“Jaden” asked Mr. Smith weakly, “what are you trying to say?”

“Mr. Smith why did you need a surgery ?” asked Jaden.

I tried to keep up as I took notes of Jaden’s epiphanies. He was on a roll.

“I fell down the staircase and broke my knee it had to be operated upon.”

“Did you trip?”

“No as a-“  then Mr. Smith’s eyes widened, “I had felt I was pushed.”  Now Mr. Smith was breathing heavily.

“Mr. Smith what I am going to say to you is a lot to take in. Your fall wasn’t an accident. It was a bait to get your son and daughter in law and your daughter here. Is your daughter married?”

“No but she is liberal. She was planning to start a family with her partner anyway in Europe.”

“Ah” said Jaden with understanding.

“What?” I asked getting impatient.

“Ok here goes. The evil lady a I said has always been present here but hadn’t been bothering anyone until now because there were no children here until now. She died because of a child. The moment she knew about a baby being born in this house it angered her and hence the crying and yelling of a woman that you used to hear. The poltergeist is the one who has been banging things and messing with the electricity. It was summoned here to cause mischief and its doing just that. The Timor was also a distraction. I am sure all of your family members suffered from nightmares?”

Mr. Smith nodded. “I kept dreaming of my wife and kept seeing her die”

“The incubus was summoned to add fuel to the fire. It was summoned to impregnate your daughter in law and start these chain of events. But the child was never meant to live. The interfectorem puer was summoned for just that reason. To make sure no children survive….”

A long contemplative silence followed Jaden’s monologue. I frantically took notes. Giselle sat with her head in her hands and Rebecca was shivering. Mr. Smith looked like he would collapse at any given moment.

“Nina gave birth to your grandson, who was in fact half demon and half human. The moment it was born the interfactorem puer was summoned to finish it off.”

Mr. Smith started crying and shook his head.

“How did Nina die Mr. Smith?”

Mr. Smith wiped his eyes and said, “She hung herself after her baby’s death”

Even Jaden who was so far composed look like he might throw up. How much crap had this man gone through? It was admirable that he was still sane and standing before them.

“How did the baby die?”

“We just found him dead one morning. He was three weeks old. Nina couldn’t handle losing her husband and baby and hung herself. That’s what her note said.”

“Well the baby was killed by the demon and Nina was already messed up all the Susurro Tenebris had to do was whisper the idea into Nina’s brain before she had a chance to compose herself.”

“Your daughter was planning to start a family and she is being disturbed again. All of this leads to one thing Mr. Smith.”

“What is that?”

“Firstly the hex bag that was placed here compels the demons to remain here. We need to find it and destroy it.”

“But Jaden where is all this leading to.”

“Mr. Smith whoever hexed you didn’t want one thing”

“What is that?”

“An heir to your wealth”