Medicine

The pain was caving a heavy hole in my chest. The tears in my face began to dry.

I emptied my thoughts to the blank canvas of the dismal, bleak floor. Spotted fires still ate at the wood of the benches in the cathedral. The fire of the podium I had hurled across the room was now chewed and bare. I plummeted in exhaustion from my own fit of anger. My legs collapsed under me. I gasped for air.

I tried resurrecting her. I tried finding her wandering soul in the void, but the voices of the others had overpowered my own call. I even tried blindly calling out to her throughout the pit below.

Without a soul - a life force - her body remained an empty shell. But, without a body... She remained lost. Her soul would be left to wander until she was awakened.

I could feel myself losing track of time - a very dangerous thing. Each minute, her blood stopped circulating. Each hour, her skin grew more pale and cold.

Losing time meant losing her.

The pain in my chest was now seizing hold of my heart.

I climbed up, reaching for her. I needed her comfort now, more than ever. I needed to feel her, to touch her. I caressed her cheekbone, thumb wiping across one of her hearts.

"My Starship," I breathed, though it was a shaky, unstable sound. "I... I'm sorry." My face grimaced. I caught the side of her casket and fell. I swallowed back the excruciating tears. I couldn't let myself cry again.

"Master," A voice called out. I looked up.

The minister.

I rubbed my eyes.

"Prepare her casket." My voice was shredded and unrecognizable.

"How do you suppose we dispose of the body?" I cringed back at this. I hated the sound of it. Yet, I couldn't blame him. The minister, too, was a demon. The morbid, blunt way of speech was just normal. Hell, even I would naturally think the same, but this was Star. She was different. Besides, all of the castle's staff members were demons. They were immortal, with no concept of death. They would never know what it was like to die - they would never know what it was like to grieve.

I failed to understand how I even grieved myself. I never thought I'd be the one to figure it out - but now I knew.

Now, I understood the pure pain and agony of what death did to the living.

My throat was dry and sore. My eyes burned and itched from crying. My lungs were torn from heaving. My body ached from sheer exhaustion. My heart pierced and stung. I'd never felt so much...

Pain.

Everything hurt - inside and out. And the worst part - this pain wouldn't kill me, no matter how much I desperately wished it would. I was immortal. I would live through it all - every ounce and sliver of this pain. It would never go away.

I would live through it all.

I would suffer.

For eternity.

"Shall we have it incinerated?"

An image of her casket being thrown into the pit of fire crossed my mind.

My gaze shot up at the minster.

"No! No..." The volume of my voice was abrupt and unintentionally loud.

The Underworld's pit.

Star was no demon.

She didn't deserve it.