The Mary Poppins Nanny

Fiona couldn't help it.

She peeked in on her sleeping charge. Victor was a sweetheart. She'd miss him a lot once she left. She looked at the letter she held in her hand. It was both an apology and an explanation to him. She was grateful that Dr. Roberts was the go between and that he'd reassured her that he would pass the letter on to Victor's team lead.

She just worried that everything she'd done in the last four years would be for nothing. That this sweet 10 year old boy, whom she'd loved like the son she'd probably never have, would fail to remain protected. She just had to trust that the Academy would come through, that she could trust them especially since she couldn't trust his blood family.

Oh, it was no accident that had brought her sweet boy his wished for 'Mary Poppins' nanny after the last nanny was fired for letting him play with a girl on a playground and for sleeping with Mr. Morgan. The Academy had been watching out for the dear boy and she was perfect for the position.

And after she'd ninja kicked George Morgan in the nuts a few times and drugged him to fall asleep every other time she'd needed to, well, Fiona could probably have stayed on forever as Victor's nanny. But she'd started to feel that he needed more of an Academy family than just her and it was no mistake at all that the right comment and suggestion had pointed the newly formed duo of Owen Blackbourne and Sean Green towards the elementary school that Victor still attended with his four best friends. He'd found his own Academy family and now she could move on. Just, after she made sure that some security guards were hired from within the Academy ranks. It was the least they could do for Victor's protection.

She snuck into his room, smoothing his hair back from his forehead as she adjusted his blankets and kissed his forehead a final time before she straightened and turned off the light by his bed as she headed out of his room. She made a quick stop in her room and made her final exit from the vast mansion the Morgans called a house. She left in the hired car and it took her straight to the hospital where she left the note with Dr. Roberts and moved on to the airport. She had to go back to England to take care of her own blood family right now. They needed her in ways they never had needed her before.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"What's this?" Sang asked, holding an envelope out to Victor. "I don't recognize the writing but it was in this envelope that Dr. Roberts gave me today to give to you."

Victor took it from her, frowning slightly at the prim and proper handwriting that clearly labelled the envelope 'TO BE GIVEN TO VICTOR MORGAN ON HIS 18TH BIRTHDAY'. "I don't know." He admitted. "The writing is familiar though." He said, considering it for another moment before sliding his finger under the flap and opening it. He stared at it for a long moment as a the scent hit him and his face relaxed and he smiled as he unfolded the paper.

"Is that tea and strawberries?" Sang sniffed the air delicately.

"Good nose, Princess." He said, reaching over and beeping her on the nose before dropping a kiss on the tip of it. "This is actually from my last nanny. She left one night when I was 10 and I never saw her again." He explained. "She always smelled of Earl Gray tea and strawberry preserves. She was my Mary Poppins." He said wistfully and Sang wrapped her arms around his waist, hugging him as he read the letter.

Dearest Victor,

I hope this finds you well. I am so sorry, darling boy, that I had to leave in the middle of the night. I was required back in England and there is simply no excuse for leaving and not telling you good bye. Well, maybe there's an excuse, because if I'd told you I was leaving, I would have never left. I wouldn't have been able to stand leaving you.

It was a good time for me to leave. You had found an Academy family and if you are no longer with them, then I am so sorry for leaving you behind. I should have done more looking into things to figure out how to make them work for both of us. Yes, Victor, stop staring at this letter like that. I know you found an Academy family because I am Academy. Dr. Roberts was instrumental in placing me with your family because we already knew that you needed us at such a young age. I discovered that all of you had a need in some way and I hope you can all forgive me for pushing the dynamic duo at you.

It was no mistake that those two "found" you all and formed a team with you. I made several suggestions as far as where I thought they would find the family they deserved to call their own. I was so pleased when it took root and that the 7 of you became a team. I expect that I've been hearing good things in the past 8 years.

I will apologize now, a very much delayed and belated apology that I maybe halfway mean, for drugging your father on multiple occasions. It was either that or kicking him in the family jewels and I wasn't always in the right spot to kick. I hope that he has learned his lesson and is no longer sleeping with the help. He used to threaten to tell your mother that they were sleeping with him no matter what so that they'd end up fired either way. Unfortunately, that was part of the reason there was an opening for me.

My long lasting wish for you, my sweet, is that you've found someone to love. I assure you, I still miss you greatly. I just have not been able to contact you. Please don't be angry with me. Or Dr. Roberts. But if you still need me, in any way or for any reason, please talk to Dr. Roberts. He will be able to give you my updated contact information or will let me know if you are simply too angry to speak to me yourself.

Family is always first, a choice and something to be trusted.

Love always, poppet,

Fiona

Victor pursed his lips as he finished the letter and folded it again. "That actually explains so much." He said, pressing a kiss to Sang's forehead.

"Are you going to talk to her?"

He smiled. "I think I will need to go visit with Dr. Roberts. Maybe I should write her a letter in return. I think she'd be surprised to find out how much our family changed in 8 years."

Sang giggled and stretched up to kiss his cheek. "Sounds like a good idea to me. You're sure you want taco soup and a sleepover tonight for your birthday? You are 18 and not a birthday to take lightly."

"It's exactly what I want, Princess." He was quick to reassure her.

"Okay, then I need to go start the soup. The others will be arriving soon." She said before another quick kiss had her pulling out of his arms and heading down to the kitchen.

Victor considered the letter in his hands one more time before he went to his desk and pulled out some stationary.

Dear Fiona....

(Fade...)