Chapter 38

The air is warm and then cutting the next. The fall is slow and painful as if the air is a knife making small cuts everywhere. I try to open my eyes but it seems like they are strewn shut. I kick and flail my arms trying to grab ahold of something but darkness is too great and the air is too sharp. I splash into the water, and it feels as if my stomach had been ripped out and sewn on amateur. I try to scream this time but my mouth is glued shut and I am drifted down, unable to breathe. Then I’m falling and I hit a soft surface, and noise, way too loud invades my ear. Like nails on a chalk board and construction going on at the same time. My heart feels heavy as if beating for the first time and my stomach is worse, the pain as teeth-clenching, and knee-buckling as possible. I try to move but alas, I can’t. Hands grip my arms and warmth seeps through them, starting with a warm feeling where I relax to a fire-hot burn into my veins. I open my mouth to scream, or do something but all I can do is screaming internally until the hands are gently removed.

“Open your eyes, Hermione”

It’s like lifting a feather and it’s open. My mind is clear and the pain is lessened. I gasp, bright light shades every crevice of my vision and I blink, my eyes hurt as well as my fingers as I move them, I cough and cough, breathing in deeply. I try to look around and all I see is blurred images as my eyes try to come into focus. As if I haven’t seen in a long time.

“Do you know who you are?” Asks a man to my left, strangely familiar and unnervingly calm

“Hermione Granger” I say, my voice is rough and grated.

“Do you know where you are?” Another one asks, this one is a woman and all I can make out of bright electric blonde hair.

“Hogwarts Infirmary?” my eyes are pretty clear, just a little fuzzy.

“No, dear you are at the Healer’s Institute, you have been gone for over a month, dear” She says, she has warm brown eyes.

I cough, my eyes scuinting, “How is that possible? I can’t believe I have been asleep that long”

“You weren’t asleep” She says, handing me some water, her hands have pretty nails.

“You were dead” The man at the end of my bed says, his voice is gruff and tired.

I nearly spit out my water. I swallow and try again, “What are you talking about! Of course I’m not dead”

“Jerry” Sighs the blond woman, “You were dead, but you came back”

“How” I demand.

“When you were stabbed with that sword, you were bleeding profusely, yet you held on. But you died of blood loss; your soul did not leave. It danced and played but it did not leave, as if you didn’t know how. You weren’t ready to go and when we got ahold of you, we were able to hold onto you and keep you around your body until we could heal your physical wounds before helping you mental stability come back. But your heart had stopped beating but your mind was at work, you were probably having vivid hallucinations without much oxygen being pumped to the brain since we had to feed you oxygen and that’s what kept you here, your strong mind.” The man explained, his dark grey hair is frizzy.

My brain is whirling with this information, “I was dead”

“Yes”

“What about everyone? Do they know I’m alive?” I ask my eyes wide.

She hesitantly shakes her head, “Everyone believes you are dead except Dumbledore. He is the one that brought you here”

I raise my heavy hand to wipe my face, “Can I go home?”