Part 2:

I was halfway to the park when my phone rang. "Before I Forget" by Slipknot blared from my speaker. People stopped and stared, so I quickly answered it. "Hello?"

"Rene?" It was my mom. "I've been looking all over for you! Where are you? Are you hurt?"

"No, I'm fine. I told you I'd be meeting up with my brothers at the park today. You said you were okay with it and everything."

"I-I know. I just..." I heard her sigh. "I guess I'm not ready to give you up." She sounded like she was crying. I felt my eyes watering up myself. My hand quickly flew up and wiped away any oncoming tears. "I love you, Rene. I feel like I'll never see you again. I'm sure your mother would immediately fall in love with you. What if she never lets me see you again?"

"I promise, if she does accept me, I'll come and visit you. You took care of me all these years," I said, still crying. "There's no way I could forget about you. Besides, it's only for a week if she doesn't want me."

“Like I said, she'll fall immediately in love with you." I never thought she would be so upset. Hearing the sadness in her voice, I knew that she actually cared about me. All this time, I assumed she just felt sorry for me. But she treated me like her own daughter. She truly feels like she's my mother. This realization really got to me. I couldn't help but let the tears roll down my face.

“I doubt it. But, right now, I've got to go. My brothers are expecting me about now. I love you, mom." Before she could drag me into a longer conversation, I hung up and continued on my walk toward the park.