Chapter 2 - Picture of Hammond

Começar do início

The one question made Amhuinn quickly gulp down the brandy, eyes widening when it burned down her throat. Eager to get her story and the assistance she needed however, she waved away Connor and Hammond's queries of concerned, and launched into the story of her brother.

"Tamhas has always been verreh brash in his actions, but he's my brother, and I canna leave him." Amhuinn explained, her grip tightening around the goblet Hammond had passed her. "He had said he wanted to seek out more food fer me to cure fer winter, but he never returned since he left yesterday noon." 

"Do you have any idea where yer brother would've went, Miss Amhuinn?" Connor asked in turn

"Kincaid clan." Ammi replied grimly, still staring at the swirling golden liquid. She missed the look Connor and Hammond exchanged, as she went on. "When we were exiled from the clan, I had left something.... verra, verra important back there. Tamhas has been trying to get it back fer me, but he's never been successful. I'm guessing he may have returned there again, but the Kincaid's may have not let him go this time."

Watching as the blonde maiden looked obviously worried, the two friends exchanged looks again, equal parts contemplative yet concerned. Hammond had been taken by Amhuinn Kincaid back when they first met her when they had been en route back to MacKenzie clan with Connor's then soon-to-be-bride. At that point in time Amhuinn had been a fiery young lady who had no qualms scolding her brother, even though Tamhas appeared older then she was. Hammond had been amused and at the same time intrigued, how the two siblings survived on their own out there. In fact, he found himself intrigued about all that related to the blonde maiden. The circumstances that led her to be staying out in the woods, the limp that she carried, and the way her blue eyes shaded themselves from being read.

When she had entered, the first thought in his mind was, despite how bedraggled she looked, Amhuinn still had a sense of beauty upon her that acted like a punch in his gut. What caught him most off guard however, was how her blue eyes were beseeching for help. From the hardy girl who he had met in the woods a year ago, the Amhuinn Kincaid he saw now was very different. Not to mention, he adamant dislike for her previous clan. Sure, the fact that she was exiled was enough to supposedly put him on his guard, for he should be putting his clan's well first. Hammond couldn't bring himself to believe that the blonde haired girl now in his private quarters, would have done anything so bad to warrant an exile however. So what exactly had happened?

"Miss Kincaid-" Connor started.

"Amhuinn, please." she interjected again in that same adamant tone that made Hammond wonder, and at the same time stirred his senses. The blaze in her eyes made them seem icy cold, and blazing hot at the same time. Connor cleared his throat, inclining his head to apologize, before continuing.

"Miss Amhuinn, if ye would please give me and my Laird some time to discuss? Ye must be cold as well. Do allow us to offer ye oor quarters, for ye to warm up and change into some drier clothes." Connor offered. Hammond would never cease to be amazed at how much being married had changed his first-in-command from that brutish lad he had before.

Amhuinn appeared as if she was about  to reject. However, when a shiver rattled her body again, she knew better then to be stubborn. Instead, she nodded. Connor headed out to summon a maid to escort Amhuinn, leaving the two of them alone for a brief period of time.

Unable to resist his curiosity, the redheaded laird looked again at the blonde maiden still staring at the swirling amber liquid, and asked, "If I may ask, Miss Amhuinn. Where did ye get yer limp from?"

She was taken aback by the direct question, and for the first time since she had insisted on getting his help, Amhuinn looked up. Almost instantly, she found her breathe taken away. In the bright lights of the dining hall, filled with chattering clansmen, smells of food and the eyes staring at them, plus her resolve in helping her brother, the blonde had not noticed exactly how enchanting the laird could be. While he looked as unkempt and as roguish as any other Highlander male she's met so far, there was a sense of gentility that surrounded Hammond MacKenzie.