Chapter I- Musings and a Hard Time

I wake up to the sound of the harmonized croaks of what look like crows, circling around my unconscious body, the way vultures do in the deserts. Those people who were chasing me aren't here, so the flashback should be over. Everything looks normal, but I have dirt all over me, and my bag has been thoroughly rummaged, my best guess being by a drug addict. Yippee! I get up, cover my mouth and nose, because I don't do drugs, and catching a whiff of their odor proves to be fatal for my stomach. 

Great observation, Alfred

Great observation, Alfred. Speaking of observations, what's that? My imagination is running rampant, and that's not very helpful when you're in a cemetery dating hundreds of years. I start walking towards school and to draw my mind off the countless creepy things I'm thinking of, and also too escape the ominous clouds gathering overhead, I try to recall the unpleasant flashback.

Even though I did see them for just a second, and I somehow managed to capture every detail I saw (and they call me dyslexic?). I saw the two men chasing me, both in beautifully made Prada tuxedos and Ray-Bans, even though it was early morning. One had a pink bowtie, because fashion, and the other had a cane in his hand. Ouch. I'm definitely not the fastest runner, but when the human brain doesn't want something, it's astonishing what it can do. My were barely touching the ground, and when a tombstone appears out of nowhere I vaulted over it perfectly.

Damn, I'm good at running! I remember thinking, and I'm definitely feeling good about myself, then I looked at a mirror mounted against a tombstone, and my heart jumped out of my chest. That probably cut days off my heart's operational lifetime. I remember seeing my father's face looking back at me, or at least a face that resembles mine.

I didn't know him very well, with me being a toddler when he died, but a wave of raw grief and longing forces its way up. I've never felt this before, but I want something people take for granted; a supporting family, happiness, normalcy, someone whose shoulder you can cry on. I think normalcy is simply being you; no powers, no psychological pain. I have achieved none of the above, all I have are a pair of grandparents who hated my parents, a retirement home to live and a completely useless power that hinders me daily.

Back to the flashback.

The cane-holding freak threw his stick at me and I tripped. Of all ways to go down, this one. Alfred, you are so clumsy. I don't think I even tried to stop myself- mostly, because my lungs were burning and my heart, pounding. But, as I tripped, a black pool opened and I fell right through it. Note to self: Take the long way to school next time.

And all of a sudden, I'm back in today's world. Speaking of tripping, I think I just tripped over a rock or something, while walking. Note to self: do not walk and try to remember flashbacks. Guess how that ended. Not pretty. Yup, this is definitely me. No more Alfred the agile and awesome. Just Alfred Owen who gets another detention for being late and improperly dressed.

Fast-forwarding to 10 minutes, when I reach school.

"You're late" are the first words I hear, and the last words I hear when I leave the brownstone building are "Don't be late". Both from the same teacher. For all the kids out there, never grow up. Trust me, there are advantages, but childhood is the best thing that happens in your life, and you might have guessed- high school is hard, especially with my "problems".

Then again, if you enjoy getting chased by people wearing tuxedos through a cemetery early in the morning, go to school covered in dirt, and have a psychological breakdown, feel free to take my problems. I don't mind sharing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi! You have just finished the first chapter! Thanks for over 50 views on the prologue! If you liked this style of writing, you could visit the links below:

Wishes Can come true: https://www.wattpad.com/story/88598242-wishes-can-come-true

Visit our blog: https://a-window-in-my-life.blogspot.in/

Thanks for all the support, and do give your suggestions in the comment section below! Thanks!