Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Jawaani Aur Deewani

PRIYA WAS LIVID.

She couldn't stand her prom date, her friends were enamored by their own boys, and she was lonely. So lonely.

"Hey, Priya! You're looking gorgeous," said one of her classmates with an edge to her tone, enviously eyeing her metallic red outfit. Crop tops were back in fashion, and Priya had paired a fiery scarlet crop top with a matching mini skirt. Razor-sharp winged eyeliner, a red leather jacket, and no-nonsense pencil heels completed her look. Her luscious raven hair cascaded down her back in alluring waves.

"Thanks," Priya said coldly, pulling out her phone to fake a call and avoid the conversation, suddenly angered by all the curious stares due to her being alone. She glanced around the party hall.

It was dark. Priya liked it dark. Neon lights flashed throughout the room, illuminating beams of light in all colors - azure blues, lime greens, and sultry pinks. Priya definitely stood out from the silver and gold ensembles that most people were clad in - she was never one to conform to a theme, needless to say.

Her gaze slowed to stop at the infamous DJ. He was wearing a black outfit, and the cut-off sleeves revealed his muscular arms. He looked like he was over the moon. Sensing her stare, Yuvi shot her a grin.

She moved her face away immediately. "I hate him, I hate him, I hate him," she murmured viciously to herself.

"But I love you."

The voice poured of the speakers like dark coffee, a heavy and viscous yet smooth and velvety sound.

Yuvi had grabbed the mic. He was dancing, in slow, calculated movements in the front of the room.

Dekha tumko jab se, bas dekha tumko yaara

Tumse koi achha hai na tumse koi pyaara

Yun nazre na phero tum, mere ho mere tum

Keh do na, keh do na. . .you are my soniya

[From the moment I saw you, I was looking at you only, beloved

No one is better then you, no one lovelier

Don't look away, you are only mine

Tell me, tell me. . .you are my beloved. . .]

Priya turned up her nose, trying - though failing - to mask the smile that was threatening to break free.

Shedding off her jacket, she gave him a victorious grin. He knew what that meant - she was joining in. Her date forgotten, she and Yuvi joined together to dance. And pretty soon, the whole party hall was a part of it.

It was great fun. Dancing with Priya, singing with Priya, being with Priya.

Yuvi didn't know if it was love. He didn't even know what to call it. But there was one thing he did know. He liked Priya. A lot.

. . .

"Annette, baby, sweetheart, please!" Krish was practically begging.

"Please what, Krish?!" Annette snapped, chasing him down the stairs of the Raichand mansion. "Don't I have a right to know where my boyfriend goes, what he does, and who he meets?"

He stopped at once, his thoughts freezing him in place.

Annette was so much fun. Keyword: was. Lately she had become overbearing and dominating, like a sore throat that refused to go away no matter how much medicine you took and changed your whole routine, he thought bitterly.

She insisted on checking his phone everyday. She sniffed his clothes for women's perfume, searched him for lipstick marks. She called him twice daily while he was at work, forcing him to say "I love you" loudly in public settings. She angered easily, especially when he came home late from work. She was possessive and controlling.