Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Judaai

KRISH WASN'T TAKING HEARTBREAK VERY WELL. He had always been a bit of an emotional guy underneath the heroic attitude, despite not particularly liking anything overly sentimental - Yuvi had always teased him for his "softness."

But it did hurt. A lot. 

He had even gone back to the sweet shop a few times. The results were usually fruitless, even sometimes counter effective. Especially when instead of sweet Asmara, he appeared face-to-face with that stick-in-the-mud Ghasijaram. Ghasi refused to disclose information about Asmara's whereabouts, only telling him that she was now busy with her full-time teaching course nearby and would soon be off to stay with her grandmother. 

In other words, she would be gone. And Krish would never know where exactly she went.

Accompanied by one of those angry smoldering looks (like those villains in cartoons Krish watched as a kid), Ghasi had further threatened him never to return. Otherwise he'd make sure Krish would never see the light of day - well, at least the light of Chandni Chowk - ever again. And after hearing about his uncle Rohan's childhood escapades in Chandni Chowk when Poo and her terrorizing band of chubby boys barred him from entering, Krish didn't doubt Ghasi for a second.

Krish missed Asmara so much. He hadn't quite realized just how much her presence lit up his life. Or how he had gotten addicted to her laughter, her smile, her eyes. And without her, everything seemed dark, murky, sorrowful. His heart hurt.

So here he was now. How long had it been? Days? Weeks? Months? Krish wasn't sure. And his family had definitely picked up on his brooding - well, except Rahul. Rahul had a tendency to be oblivious to people's emotional states, despite his wife's angry prodding.

Luckily, Yuvi was quick to handle the situation and had simply told the family that Krish had missed a chance with a girl he liked. That wasn't far from the truth, though it was putting it rather mildly. He informed everyone that it was not a big deal and they shouldn't bother Krish, shouldn't mention it to him. Yuvi even included some heart-touching lines to guilt them: that they weren't kids anymore, they had to learn to deal with their problems by themselves. And it worked.

If Krish had been there, he would have rolled his eyes.

Nevertheless, everyone tried their best. Though they made it obvious they knew (at least partially) what was going on. Nothing ever stayed secret in the Raichand household for very long.

Anjali churned out all of Krish's favorite dishes, practically a whole buffet ranging from buffalo chicken pizza to butter chicken curry to desi-style French fries to jalebis. (Luckily Yuvi had spotted the jalebis and hidden them before Krish had seen them. Mission accomplished.)

Meanwhile, Pooja kept dropping hints. She'd say things like, "You remember my friend Tanya? The fashion designer in New York? She just had a nasty breakup. Sad, isn't it? Poor thing was crying and moping for two months. And she wore nothing but yoga pants. Ugh!" And then Pooja would continue with, "But it's okay. Sometimes it's not meant to be, darling. You know what they say, plenty of fish in the sea!" Then Yuvi and Rohan would both shut her up with a warning look, and she would be forced to close her mouth.

Daijaan would keep ruffling Krish's hair, kissing his forehead, and randomly giving him hugs. Even Krish's grandmother, Nandini, called him to deliver a thirty-minute speech on how much she loved him.

It was all very suffocating. Until, one day it was Yuvi who decided enough was enough.

He barged into a very sad Krish's room. "Bro, you've GOT to get out of this house!" he exclaimed, frustratedly throwing his hands up in the air. "Stop moping! It's been two months, you need to move on. Now."