Running To Freedom

I listened to Cannon's story, it was sad but, obvious what happened or so I thought.

     "Do you think he might have controlled you somehow?" I asked.

"No, he convinced me that I was better than Teddy, I hated him ever since."

      Sirens wailed overhead. The sounds of footsteps came crashing through the halls. We heard murmuring voices. Many of them mentioned 'destroying' and 'building, new'. The only thing that I could think of was the fact that they were going to destroy the building and we'd all die.

      "Where's Teddy and the others?" I asked franticly.

"In the office, why?" Cannon responded.

       "They're here!"

"Who?"

      "The construction company! They're going to tear down the place!"

Cannon's face turned from white to pink. "Nobody deserves a death like that!"

I looked at him skeptically. As if to say 'Really?'

     "Except maybe for Puppet Master, maybe."

"He doesn't either. Now come on! Or we'll be squashed like a bug!" I said running.

      "The office is that away." Cannon said pointing.

"Right I knew that."

We ran as fast as we could to the office. Doing our best to avoid the workers who were rampaging around. We found Teddy and the others right where Cannon and Puppet Jerk had left them. Teddy's eyes were big and he was flailing around.

     "HMM! HMMM!"

"Easy, easy now, Teddy." I said cutting him loose.

       He sprang up like a jack in the box and went straight for Cannon.

"You idiot!" he screamed.

    "Teddy we don't have time for this!" I said grabbing his shoulder.

He glared at Cannon for a moment. Then, started cutting the others loose.

"Come on! We gotta go!" Cannon said walking out the door.

"Why should we trust him?" Mesha asked.

  I glared at all of them. "If you don't we'll all die."

   "Good enough answer for me!" Tricksey said. "Lead away!"

"To the garage!" Bubba said following Cannon.

"Wait! Puppet Master? What about him?" I asked.

 "What about him?" Teddy asked.

"We can't leave him here!"

"Yes, we can and we will." He responded following the others.

"No, I can't and I won't!"

    "Who's side are you on?" Ronnie asked.

"My own. I need to find him. You guys go to the garage and get out of here. I'll find him."

Everyone looked at me. Teddy shook his head.

"I'm sorry." He said as he picked me up, threw me on his back and took off.

Everyone followed. I couldn't believe it. They were just going to leave him here to die? Are you kidding me? I tried to fight but, Teddy had a vise grip on me.