Chapter 3 Sleep Never Felt So Dead

Mesha closed the door behind me as I stepped in. I wonder what she meant by 'It's my funeral'. I walked down the stairs, tired and confused. I got to the bottom step and took off my jacket. It was surprisingly warm. I looked around, no bed or nothing. Just a lamp. And I don't mean like a desk lamp. I mean like a really big, light up the whole room with one bulb, lamp. Alright, maybe that was an exasperation. It was just a room lamp. A really old fashion one to. I looked at it.

"Now, this seems out of place." I said as I turned it on.

It didn't turn on though. Blue sparks flew from it, forcing me to turn it off. I was too tired to fix it. Instead, I walked around the room and found a window, no more than ten feet above me. There was an old book shelf that I could've easily climbed next to it. And I did. I climbed up on it and opened the window.

"I can go now. I'm free. I don't have to deal with crazy people anymore." I whispered as I unlocked it.

I stopped and thought about it. Ten inches was the difference between me and the outsides world. I thought for a moment. I thought about Teddy and how scary, mysterious, and, well gentle he was. I thought about the enthusiasm in Ronnie's face and voice when we met. Foxsey's hook (I rubbed the scratch when I thought about this). Mesha's well, kindness. No girl was ever that kind to me. Ever.

"I-I want to do this." I said aloud.

My brain thought otherwise.

'You can't leave them. You'll be leaving behind a story. Your story.' my thoughts whispered.

"I don't care. They tried to kill me."

'No, they didn't. Mesha helped you before you fell through a floor board. Foxsey, who could've easily killed you, didn't. And Ronnie? You've got to admit. He's adorable.' My thoughts replied calmly.

I thought about it all. My head was throbbing. I knew this place looked like if you walked in you'd be killed. But, from the moment I fell asleep all those hours ago. I felt strangely. . . safe. Like I had someone there to help me no matter what. Like. . . like I was at home. And with that I hopped off the book self. Leaving the window open and fell asleep.

I dreamed of black. Literally, I dreamed of darkness, nothingness, and. . . Teddy. An image of Teddy filled my dream. He was wearing a suit, a brown one, Almost like a tuxedo. He was smiling, holding a microphone in one hand, and reaching out with the other. Not aggressively though. As if he was holding out his hand. Offering it to someone.

The imaged changed to myself when I was younger, walking down a gravel road. I immediately knew where this was headed. I tried to wake up, but I couldn't. Nothing boned them, I just couldn't open my eyes. I was cold to. I watched as I unsuspectingly walked down the road.

I felt fingers running through my hair and someone out lining my face. Warm fingers on my face and in my hair. Again, I tried to open my eyes but I couldn't. I couldn't move or anything. After one horrifying minute I realized that I wasn't breathing. I was. . . 'dead asleep'. (pun intended).

I walked down the road, swinging my arms to the toon of my favorite songs. Unaware what was going to happen. A muscular man, at least six feet tall, stepped in front of me.

"Hello girlie." He said, his voice snarled and gruff.

"Hello." I said gently walking around him.

"Where are you headed?" he asked following me.

"Places." I said sarcastically.

He looked at me, evil thoughts shone like a search light in his eyes. He stepped forward and said,