21. Blood

"What did you read about me?" Jacklyn whispered much later. They laid in bed, relaxed and warm.

"Nothing."

She turned her head and did a show of biting his pec.

Matt smiled. His black eye was gone. The bruises on his body too. Magic energy healing was quick.

She bit him again.

"No, seriously," he said. "I think I read about who they think you are."

He gently touched he mark between her brows. "There are a few legends and prophesies about the end of the world."

"The four horsemen of the Apocalypse?"

"That's the Christian version. There are others. Older, vaguer."

"I'm not a horseman."

Matt grinned. "I think I would've noticed."

The way he said it. Jacklyn's heart skipped a beat.

"There has to be a horse to the horseman," Matt said. "The horse comes before the man. You showing up is a sign to them. The Horseman will arrive next."

"Which horseman?"

"Don't know. The horse is the manifestation of raw power. The Horseman reins that power and use it with his own."

"To end the world?"

He smiled.

"I think Veronica wants to get her hands on your reins till the Horseman cometh. She could use your power."

"That's why you didn't want to go back here? You should have told me!"

"I did."

So that was what mane-pulling was about.

"I just read you and feel what to do," she mumbled. "Like I understand where you going but..."

He shrugged and leaned in to kiss her, lips first then the mark.

"No problem. They got you wrong anyway. You're not the Apocalypse."

"Is there anything else?"

"Not on line. Most old scrolls and manuscripts of that kind aren't uploaded."

She sighed.

"There's a fortuneteller down on Pier 39," he said. "The magic crowd says he's the best. He might tell you something."

"You believe in fortunetellers?"

"After the last few days, I'll try anything," Matt said. "Maybe he can tell us something we can use."

Jacklyn's new favorite word: We.

Matt moved a strand of hair out of her face. He followed the curve of her breast and then tapped lightly over her heart.