Chapter 17. New Friends, Old Foes.

Start from the beginning

I snap out of it and pull my hand away, an embarrassed blush rising across my cheeks. Why can I never control these stupid blushes?! "Of course. See you then." I smile awkwardly at him, then back away to go into my classroom. He chuckles and waves goodbye then walks into his class. I sigh heavily and head into mine as well, a small smile stuck on my face the whole lesson. I think I just made a new friend! Take that, Samantha!

~•~

"And then - ha! - and then he slipped on the ice and fell! Breaking it even more!" We laugh loudly, both of us barely able to breathe from his hilarious story.

"I don't get what's so funny." Gina walks over to our table and sets her plate down, giving me a questioning look but then smiling over at Keagen. "Hi, I'm Gina, Sarah's best friend. You are?"

He looks over to her and waves, "Keagen Richland, nice to meet you!" He grins up at her, his smile causing any girl in a ten foot radius to sigh in delight at the sight. Literally, I heard at least a whole table of girls sigh - it was weird.

"Nice to meet you too. How did you two meet?" Gina plops down across from us and digs into her hamburger, ever so gracefully devouring it while somehow still smiling and chatting with Keagen. How this woman does such a thing without looking ridiculous is beyond me.

I sit and listen to them talk, taking interest into how anytime Keagen would let out a little laugh or smile that big heart warming smile a table beside us would sigh. But not as heartwarming as Zander's . . . Wait what? I quickly snap out of my gazing and frown down at my plate. Why would I think that?

"Hey, S. Are you okay?" I glance up and meet Gina's worried gaze, silently asking if I needed to talk. I frown again and flicker my eyes from her to the cafeteria doors. Her eyes fill with realization and she immediately takes action.

Sighing, she gets up and smiles widely over at Keagen. "Excuse me, but I actually have to go use the restroom. Sarah, come with me?" I quickly nod and get up, leaving our stuff behind as not to lose our seats.

"Okay, I'll wait here for you." He smiles widely and turns back towards his food.

We leave in a rush, Gina basically dragging us towards the bathroom. We barge in and quickly check if we're alone, then she quickly starts drilling into me.

"What's up? Who is he? Dude, I saw you looking at him! Do you like him?!" She jumps up and down in her spot, clapping her hands excitedly.

I laugh and shake my head, reaching out to grab her shoulders so she'd stop jumping. "I just met him this morning. He asked for my help around school and hasn't really left my side since." I shrug towards the end and release her shoulders. A small laugh bubbling up my chest when I think about Keagen and I together. We literally just met, that's insane!

"Oh my cheese, you do like him!!" She starts giggling and jumping again, clapping her hands like a happy seal. My eyes widen slightly and I open my mouth to protest but we're instead cut off by a shrill voice.

"O-M-G! So exciting! Not." We both jump in fright when the voice intrudes, both of us whipping around to face her. The blood drains from my face when we turn to see a smirking Samantha, only one of her friends with her this time.

Gina glares daggers at her and crosses her arms, moving to subtly stand protectively in front of me. "What's it matter to you?" She spits out, sneering over at Samantha with pure hatred.

"Oh nothing really, other than the fact that he's mine and neither one of you can have him." She rolls her eyes and inspects her nails disinterestedly.