How People Change

Reminder: Did you guys pray before opening this short update? No? If Salaah's better than sleep (the one thing people can't live without) than I'm pretty sure it's infinity times better than this story too. xD

Samaar

Sheath dropped me off at Yusra's house right after I met his mother. I can't believe the fact that it's been more than four months since I last saw her. Except I did see her through Skype from time to time. As soon as I got to their door, before I could ring the doorbell the door swung right open and I found an angry Yusra right in front of me. She had her coat on, a bag in her hand and a long black abaya with a bright red scarf on. Before she could storm out, she looked at me and dropped her bag. 

"SAMAAR?" She said, startled. Oh yeah, I wanted to keep it a surprise so I didn't tell her anything about me coming. From the kitchen I heard Yusra's mom screaming at the top of her lungs in Urdu. Yusra rolls her eyes at them and jumps on me and embraces me into a hug. I do the same and it lasts for like a month because that hug accounts for all the times we missed together due to the four months separation we had to go through. "Assalamualaikum! What are you doing here?" She asked. Something about her was different. Was it her tone in voice? For some reason I felt guilt trickling in. 

"Waalaikumasalaam, missy. What do you think? I made a trip to Canada because I was worried about YOU!" I said, feeling happy and worried at the  same time. She gave me another hug, and took me inside to meet her mom. Her mom was saying something in Urdu again along the lines "You came back?" When she looked up and saw me, she smiled really brightly.

"Samaar! You're finally here! Assalamualaikum!" She said, as she put down the knife in her right hand and came walking to me as she reached out to embrace me into those big warm hugs she would give me all the time. 

"Waalaikumasalaam." I said back in reply. 

"When did you get here?" She asked me. 

"I just got here an hour ago, but I wanted to see Yusra so badly, so I came straight here after dropping my my parents and in-laws house." I said as I stared at Yusra who was standing there with a confusingly worried look on her face. 

"Why don't we go upstairs?" Yusra says, almost as quiet as a mouse. I nod and as soon as she starts walking upstairs her mom grabs my arm and quickly whispers something into my ear. I'm dumbfounded by what she says as she quickly lets go of my arm. She turns back to the counter to do some work. She's not the girl you used to know months ago... Please help her Samaar... My eyes start wandering up to Yusra who's already at the top floor. "What's wrong?" She says at the top of the stairs and I just follow her up saying nothing. 

When we enter her room, I look around to see something completely unexpected of her. "So you're starting to listen to music again?" I ask her as I pick up some of the CDs on her desk. She grabs it and throws it on her bed. 

"Forget about it. Let's talk about you!" She says extremely excited. 

"What  about me?" I ask, as I still go on looking through her stuff. She takes her abaya and hijab off casually. Then I look at what she's wearing. I start scratching my head through my hijab in confusion. "Aren't those a little extreme?" I say, as I point at the mini skirt she's wearing over tights, and the shirt that says, 'Keep Calm and Party On'. 

"What's wrong with it?" She says. I sat down on the chair to her desk. 

"Yusra, is that whole marriage talk making you do all this?" I ask her quietly as I rest my chin in my hands. 

"Making me do what?" She says, sounding a little offended. 

"Yusra promise me one thing." I say in a calm voice. She nods putting some attitude into it.